CHAPTER TWELVE

My heart began pounding fiercely against my chest as I hurried up the stairs, and the reason for it varied depending on the situation: out of terror, shock, excruciating heat, and the rest I could not simply explain. Nevertheless, I am aware that these are only feelings that are pressing upon my chest. I instantly push my body against my door as soon as I get to it and start sobbing. My life has slowly become something straight out of a telemundo show.

This evening, I received a kiss from the president's son, who serves as my court representative. The kiss was intended to be a kind of distraction, but it had another effect, I got too comfortable with his lips on mine. I'm in the spotlight, which is bad for someone of my social standing.

Turning towards the door so that I can input my pass code I take a deep breath and then put in the code. When my door opens up I am greeted by darkness, which I allow to envelop me as I enter further into the building. I could not find the strength to walk towards my bedroom so I kneel beside the door, my hands were shaking. With my eyes feeling really heavy I sluggishly get up and head into my room to have a good night rest. Immediately my body finds the bed I let the darkness engulf me and I fall deep into sleep.

**

I know my mother can tell I'm not even watching alongside her while we're watching a Korean drama. But I also want her to know that I am aware of the fact that she has been forcing phony chuckles out of her lips.

"I don't know what's going on, but I just know you're gorgeous," tears stream down my face. I stare down at my skin as tears fall on the left side of my breast, yet I realize I am not furious with it. Why can't others appreciate what I look like? For God's sake, it's like chocolate, and people adore chocolate, and I can't stop the tears from falling down my face.

Mom keeps munching on her popcorn, but I can hear her sniffling.

"I'm sorry mum, I really don't know how to stop my feelings," I say quietly and lower my head.

Mom turns to face me and looks at me, her eyes conveying her emotions. She gives me a tight hug, which causes her popcorn to scatter across her lap.

"You're my daughter, you're gorgeous, and no matter what the outcome of this case is, I know you’re not the person everyone is trying to make you out to me" she says. Lifting my head up so I am looking her square in the eyes she smiles.

“who wouldn’t love to stare at these beautiful pair of brown eyes, you are so beautiful Kat, you’re eloquent, you are deserving of every kind of love, you are lovely and heavenly” I notice how glassy her eyes are and am incredibly relieved that she has never once regretted giving birth to me, mom has always been a loyal supporter, a beautiful mother.

Mom comes in for another hug causing emotions to well up inside of me, "Thank you, mum," I tell her from the very depth of my heart.

"You're lovely, and you are welcome, I will keep trying my best to make you see that gleaming light at the end of the tunnel" with that she starts humming a lullaby while making calming circular motions on my back. I visualize the lyrics in my brain and feel my grief melt away slowly, it’s in times like this a mothers touch is needed and heavily appreciated. As my mother cradles me, I feel myself slipping away and letting the darkness consume me. All the while thinking ‘maybe all I really need is some real companionship’.

In my fantasies, Mama tries to divide my thick hair into two portions by running her hand through it. Her hand comes to an abrupt end, which makes me feel uneasy compared to how I felt earlier.