CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I look at the clock again, it is 7:00 pm on the dot, and mom is still nowhere around this apartment. I let my head rest on the armchair and begin to ponder on thoughts whilst hearing the sound coming from the television.

I walk back to my room to get my blanket only for me to pause at the sight before me, just below from across my window I could sight a couple hugging themselves, my eyes almost bulge out of my sockets when I see a red-haired A.K.A mom holding unto whatever that stranger is so tightly, I let my already hanging mouth close when I recall the vow I made to myself, “not to judge anyone upfront” without knowing the reason as to why they are doing what they are doing or why they did what they did. I walk back to the sitting room in total dejection when my mind processes the fact that my dad’s memory, is swiftly washing away. I change the channel to the news, trying to pay attention to the affairs of the nation has always been my weak point.

Just when I decide to pay attention I hear the door open.

“Welcome mother!” I say out loud, making her jump and hold her chest.

“I saw you hug that man” I say to her, but mom smiles and shrugs making all my doubts disappear, if someone was doing something sus my guess it they won’t hold the same smile mom held when they are caught.

“Oh yes, Dean apparently is on my side” mom explains, I look at her as my doubts begin to come back with full force “Your side? Huh,” I ask.

“I was thinking it’s supposed to be on our side” I say trying to lighten the mood, I am tempted to ask my mother what is actually happening, but I decide against that, I decide to just trust her, the last thing right now is a broken relationship between I and my mother.

She nods and smiles. Bringing out a whole bunch of biscuits and sweets from her bag, and comes to sit beside me.

“I love you, honey, I adore you so much, and I can’t do anything to hurt your feelings” she smiles sadly as I mute the television, and look up at her.

“He says he has a lot of things to take care of for your sake. And that during the trial we should be confident” she takes off her small handkerchief from around her neck and slides down the armchair to the ground.

“I miss your dad, everyday honey,” mommy says, her tears making contact with her cheeks.

“But if ever I am to fall in love, I won’t hesitate to move on. I love your dad, but I don’t want him to be sad out there, because of my lack of movement in life”

“I don’t have a crush on Dean, he is just a friend, so don’t let any absurd thinking crowd your thoughts, you have other things to worry about” mummy says, I gladly oblige, because right now I have to break the news of no schooling to her.

“So mum, something happened at school today” she nods and starts massaging her feet, I don’t even know how she does it, her foot has zero odor.

“An announcement was made concerning my hearing at court, and uh I have been suspended temporarily” her eyes grow as large as saucers as she looks at me and her hands fall off her feet slowly.

“Why in the world would they even do that?” mom questions.

“I don’t know ma, I don’t”

I pause and stare hard at her before concluding it is time for dinner.

“mom come eat, it’s time for dinner, I prepared fried rice and meat” she smiles sadly at me and nods, immediately she enters her room I hear her lock click shut, and then I know she isn’t going to come out till after a while, so I go up to my room and ease myself in the restroom.  
                                                                                        Once I am done I go up to Mr. President’s son’s penthouse, he sent me a text few hours ago to come see him whenever I was free.

On getting to his place I immediately ring the doorbell, after a while I hear footsteps coming in my direction.  From the sounds of the Clack against the floor, you could tell it was a woman’s heel. I pray in my mind that that lady is not Nora, because the last thing I would encourage this night is some extra bullying outside of the school premises.

But I guess God was not standing on my side today as an angry Nora opens the door fuming in rage, immediately I come in her line of sight she smiles coyly and proceeds to welcome me inside, it gave me the creeps when she did that.

“Look who is here darling, the only cockroach left” she laughs, but damn I couldn’t tell if she was blind or she just chose to overlook the angry look Donald keeps throwing her way.

“This is official business, so you might have to leave Nora or maybe you could go upstairs” Nora looks at me, then back at him, and begins laughing crazily, throwing her beautiful hair all over the place, her perfectly manicured nails staring back at me as she suddenly points one of it at my face.

“Now you listen, I don’t care how unique you think you are, but if you dare try anything that isn’t even supposed to be thought, I will finish you off myself” I nod naively, because that is what I have been taught to do, better to remain the calm and collated Katherine than to become the angry Katherine. Digesting my nod as a response Nora begins walking tauntingly towards Donald and places a peck on his cheek. Nora turns toward my direction to leave, and immediately she reaches where I am at, she purposely pushes me out of the way “excuse me will you” the impact and suddenness of the push makes me fall flat on my butt. Now don’t get me wrong, if I had a choice I would never choose to be a pushover but based on my predicament its preferable to be a pushover thank be someone who ‘stands up too much for themselves’.

Donald immediately leaves the book he has been reading and comes to pick me up. “I thought I said next time we meet at my office”. I look at him, not finding a valuable reason to give as to why I am here. “I didn’t come here on official business, I came here because you sent me a text, have you forgotten?” with the book on his right hand he closes his eyes like he is frustrated and places his left hand on his forehead then he looks at me and uses his left hand to pinch the bridge of his nose. He then stops in his movements and then looks at me with disdain and disappointment written all over his face.

“I warned you didn’t I. no feelings whatsoever” he comments and then throws me back on the floor just as I am about to wipe my jeans.

“Can you please stop that, I get as blacks we have fewer rights than you guys so can you please, just not add to it!” I yell angrily at him.

“And I just came here because you sent me a text don’t you remember? And you didn’t specify if I was supposed to meet you during office hours, you just said to meet you when I am free. Just what did I ever do to you?”

“You want to know why, why I hate you so much? Well, it's people like you that spoil marriages. And if you think you will be able to stop what I and Nora will have then you stepped on the wrong shoelace”

“What, Wrong shoelace?” I look at him tears in my eyes; I shake my head so I do not get confused and decide to pour out my mind.

“You know what? I don’t even know what might have happened to you, or maybe whom you’re trying to liken me to but I think I have suffered enough. And you know what else?” I say as I stand up and wipe my butt, because it makes no sense for me to keep sitting on the ground while trying to sound confident.

“If I were you I would go back to whatever marriage you say has been broken by a brown-skinned girl and do proper research. Because I know if there is one thing I have gotten so used to in my short life, its allegation” I move farther away from him, and walk toward the door while turning back I smile at him with tears running down my eyes and say “Maybe when you’re done settling whatever hatred you have built up inside of you, you can contact me.”

When I walk into my apartment luckily for me mom isn’t out yet, and it’s almost nine, and I definitely cannot go to bed on an empty stomach, so I just have to eat without mom, immediately I walk into the kitchen and open the flask. I hear mama’s lock make a click sound, showing she is coming out, I hurriedly walk towards her and give her a hug, patting her back I smile and say. “mom it’s okay, I am gonna get through this with you by my side, and I will learn in the process” knowing how much she laughs at motivational speakers I try to act like one, so pulling back I hold her shoulder and say. “There’s always light at the end of a tunnel”.  She looks at me horrified.

“There’s always light where now?” she asks. I can see the crinkles appear in the corner of her eyes, when she adds.

“Common let’s go eat before you shock me one more time”