CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

I am supposed to be happy I think, or maybe sad, I don't know.

My head buzzes with a lot of unanswered questions and my heart is making me feel, every kind of emotion I have never felt before, so in conclusion, I am breaking down.

MR. Bowe holds out his hand toward me, his face although sweaty still looks like it’s in control.

“You’re so beautiful” he repeats.
“Step out for a moment” requests Donald. “I want to have a word with him” I still stand beside Donald in shock, not wanting to leave but his next command pulls me out of whatever shock I was in.

“Alone!” a pissed looking Donald commands

I nod, although his eyes are just focused on the culprit, and he can’t see me.
I know there won’t be an arrest because the law of Koura wouldn’t permit that, I walk slowly to the sitting room shuffling in the process as it feels like my legs will soon give up on me.

With tears still in my eyes and with my tear gland producing more tears I bow my head on my elbow.

In a few moments I am about to sleep and I remember that the cushion I am currently about to rest my body on, has pillows, I immediately change my posture.

But the so-called dream wasn’t coming to an end, my hands seems to find comfort in a larger vessel, as I hear voices coming from the area around my ear, it was like it had a little bit of force attached to it, but despite it being too melodious It wakes me up.

“I don’t like this” I open my eyes and look beside me only for me to come face to face with Donald.

I look at him no doubt my eyes laced with uncertainty.

My voice comes out croaked as I ask.
“What’s up?”
Donald begins rubbing his bloody knuckles, his flesh seems like it has been torn.

“He has been arrested”

“and I don’t like the fact that it all crashes down on you Kat” I look at him as I see the raw emotions in his eyes, something different, the way he is looking at me right now, Seems so different.

“What do you call the emotion in your eyes right now?” I ask in genuine curiosity.

“Maybe affection or care, Coz I know we have passed that stage of pity” he smiles.

“What are you going to do about those bloody knuckles of yours?.” I ask him, not wanting to dive into unchartered areas.
“I’ll know what to do”. He answers, looking at me with the same expression as before, so I call him out on it. “You’re looking at me in that manner again”. I say to him.

“Well I don’t like it that you’re getting emotionally raped all the time, it disturbs my mental state”

“I don’t know what being emotionally raped is, but I think I understand, and I am grateful. I hope I get the opportunity to paint the emotion in your eyes because you know, they look so thick, and raw”.

“Thank you I guess then”. Donald comes closer to me and begins wiping my tears; I didn’t even know when those tears started falling freely.

“Don’t let people trash you in this way again, even if I am not around, fight for you, you’re too special to be used this way” he nods his head at me.

“Are you crying right now?” Don looks at me in a way that says he’s had enough.
“Wait” I put my hand up in the air in a stop motion.

“By the grace of God have you fallen in love with me?” I ask seriously, because right now, I am in a state of confusion, Donald confuses me.

He stands up immediately every trace of humor goes from his face.

“Please don’t ever think that even when I am being so affectionate with you that I have fallen in love”. And him standing up makes him appear huge.

“Everyone I have fallen in love with always seems to have a way of disappointing. So I have given up on that a long time ago, but that does not mean I don’t enjoy every time we spend together as friends”.

I stand up and rub him on his shoulder.

“I get you Don, every damn time, so no need to explain, but I am gonna paint those very affectionate eyes you showed me then”

“I trust you will get to it. Although I have to say, you sleep too much. I mean the cop arrested and released MR. Bowe, and all through the incident, I mean despite the ruckus happening around you. You were still fast asleep” I laugh as I walk past him. What he said keeps lingering in my heart; he was also released even as a confirmed culprit, caught by the president’s son.

This country is just too biased it is obvious.
“Let’s move shall we, my little black lady”. He says as he hangs his suit jacket on his right shoulder. His sleeve is all rolled up, his face although looking a little bit scruffy, makes him look even more handsome, in a way I am glad that I got to hang around the president’s son. He has been of great help, I won’t lie.

“Now I am your little black lady?”.

“By the way, after the first trial, once you’ve been declared not guilty, school opens for you” immediately we get in his car he becomes serious again.

“And may I ask the reason for the sudden change of mood?”

“Well I just realized I need to tell you something, a few notable words of encouragement and advice of course”

“go on,” I say as I rub my lap.

“There are more people that love you than you can imagine, I mean take a good look at Mr. Bowe’s situation, he has always been in love with your skin, and maybe from the time he met you. And that’s why I need you to do that ad commercial Amanda wants you to do, I believe she also has a reason. I know you need a lot of publicity because you know, I am sorry to say this” he takes a U-turn.

“but this system, the system of Koura was not made to be suitable for you, so even if this doesn’t sound like a nice pep-talk, just know that you have to own it sometimes, well thank God you have someone as powerful as me as your friend, that knowledge, alone makes me so damn happy” the smile on my face broadens, as I watch him relax into his seat, looking all serious again.

“I’ll just drop you off, at a different place, and head to work”

“what do you mean by a different place? I mean I know I am not comfortable at your place, but why the sudden movement?”
“You have to be safe. And I didn’t just realize it, but I know there are people who don’t want you staying there, so better to be safe than sorry”.