CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

I walk up to the calendar and mark today's date, the 19th of March. I look up at the bulb in my room and begin looking at the light. It’s like nothing is working out for me. My whole life is just determined by my skin color, the difference is clear once you take a good look at my skin, that in some way we are different.

I catch my breath and proceed to the kitchen to make my meal, then i hear a ding from my phone signifying a new message, and seeing the name Amanda flash on my screen I smile, we have gotten quite close, ever since she came to my place, we share a lot of dislikes, and likes, and we even decided to do our artworks together. “Come to my house on Wednesday, what do you say?”. I smile; even when I feel my cheekbones criticizing my cheek. I stop smiling when I see another message sent by Donald.

“Come by my office later?”

**

“So is there a reason as to why I am here or…”  Donald smiles and looks down at his wrist watch.

“I just wanted us to talk a little”. He takes his eyes off of his computer screen and begins tapping his desk with his fingers.
“Miss Laurel Turner” he pauses. I nod waiting for him to complete his sentence.

“Your ex-caretaker agreed to testify in court. And we have gotten a piece of visual evidence from an anonymous sender” he stops making the noise with his fingers.

“I have to say you have a lot of fans, it’s just that they don’t want to speak out. This is going way better than I planned it would”
He looks at me strangely.

“Aren’t you happy about that?”
“I am” I respond.

“It's just, is that really the only reason you required my presence?”
He scratches his hair, and looks at me, his brown eyes, leaving an impact.

“I also felt like having a deep talk with you, and I wanted to ask you if you trusted me?” I nod my head showing him that I do understand him then I proceed to answer.

“I do trust you enough to win this case” he’s about to say something when I shake my head from side to side, letting him know that I wasn’t done with answer “and I am grateful for what’s happening around me, I am grateful for you, I am grateful for us, and I am definitely grateful for the fact that there are still whites who understand that black lives also matter, you know despite what people think, it’s hard to live this way, sometimes I do not think I am strong enough to live through the next day, but I think what drives me is the fact that I have my mom, and the fact that my future might be bright, and I do not want to give up my future for my now or my past”

I look at him; no doubt my eyes are showing the emotional burden I seek to release.

“you know, my dad just died, and I have to face this, I am supposed to mourn him, for at least a short period of time, but no, it’s like this whole case thing has found a way to swallow up the memories of my dad”
“I promise I have a lot of plans laid out for you, and somehow you answered the unspoken questions I wanted to ask” Donald says, as he lowers his head. He walks towards me with his hands in his pockets.

“I wouldn’t lie and say I know what it’s like to be in your shoes but, hey” he places his hand on my chin and lifts up my head.

“You’re beautiful” Donald looks at me like he means it; he shakes his head like he does not want to say the rest of the things that are on his mind.

“I have to say this though, but do not get me wrong” he says whilst gnashing his teeth.

“I used to admire you from afar in high school…” he laughs bitterly to himself, “funny enough that’s how I got to have an encounter with my now fiancée”