CHAPTER SEVEN

November June, my best friend, who was believed to have taken a trip to justice city is currently standing in front of our new smaller house, holding out a box containing my gifts to her. When I say gifts, I mean all that I have ever gifted her. When I and Nov were little, I used to feel pressured in some sort of way to bribe her to stay, because I knew that it was a privilege to have a friend, and an added privilege to have a friend like November.
As she opens her mouth, I could see lots of bad news coming out of it.
“Why don’t we end it here Katherine” November spits out, I know it sounded more like a suggestion, it sounded like she was begging me to take an offer that would be good for me, but no I know it wasn’t a suggestion because her face said something else, I can read the blatant irritation that flashed across her eyes from the moment I opened up the door to her up till now, the look of irritation never left, November was irritated by me, maybe she had always been, but I was too happy to see it, the second reason I know she wasn’t offering a suggestion was because she wasn’t wearing our friendship band, her wrist was bare. And third, because she is currently standing outside of my home with the antagonist of my life “Nora Kura” the financial secretary’s daughter A.K.A the model of our country, right from middle school Nora has always been a classic portrait of what a Kourian girl should look like, an image of the country.

I drop the broom I am currently holding out of partial shock. But my best friend does not even care as she leaves the box on my doorstep and then with one further step she says “let’s make an effort not to appear in front of each other again” she takes a step back, then slowly her eyes moves from Nora to the other person standing beside the duo, Miranda Holt, right from kindergarten days Miranda had always been a shadow of Nora, so seeing her together with Nora wasn’t a surprise.

“let’s get going then” Nora suggests, the trio nod their heads in agreement as they begin taking further steps away from my door and as the they walk together, I hear the giggling and then the word that has been haunting me for days, the word that is slowly replacing my name. “Murderer” no doubt it's from talkative “Miranda Holt” her mom is Koura’s finest tailor, a fashion designer. My mind went blank again, but then I remember my mother's talk not too long ago, “We are starting afresh” I mutter. And what is the best way to start afresh I ask myself. “letting go off everything that reminds you of the past”.

I kneel and pick up the box, and walk back inside, promising myself to live for me. So today being the 28th of February 2024 my ex friend November June broke up with me, “what a shame” I say.

**

I am done cleaning the sitting room, so with my cleaning materials in hand, I head in and go straight for my diary, and I just notice that all the dates I have been jotting down in my diary represent sadness, every update I have jotted down in this small journal/diary of mine all marks sadness, I turn each page slowly, letting the pages rub against the tip of my fingers, one memory especially catches my eyes.

June 2021 (19th):
I met a fine man today, but he looked at me with disgust.

July 2021 (19th):
I finally know his name, after a month, his name is Donald, and shockers ‘he’s the president’s son’, and he still looked at me with disgust.

F

eeling embarrassed I immediately flip the book shut.

**

With the house free of some boxes and looking neater than before, and with me having had my bath, I proceed to my room's balcony to think more, currently I and my mom are living in a condo, it’s quite easy to get one of those around here, You see Koura is so great when it comes to their condo system, it's cheap so affordable, and agents here are always reliable, so it’s not so hard to get a place that suits your budget, it’s been said that part of the rent is sponsored by the government, and above each row and column of the condo there is always a penthouse above them, so there is provision for the ‘extremely wealthy and popular’,  The neighborhood mom chose is so quiet, and I heard there is an art studio just below our floor; it’s occupant is currently looking for a person to share it with, I sigh feeling the need to explore the art studio.