CHAPTER FIVE

"Yes, my name is Alexander Bowe" the man in front of the class says again

"And I am your fine arts teacher" he resumes walking towards the board. And then writes in capital letters "Alexander Bowe". He turns around after placing the marker on top of his desk.

We are currently seated in the biggest hall that is owned by the school of arts, studying the legendary course, the only course that actually brings a smile to my face. "Fine arts" He claps his hand twice like he is trying to wake us up. "As we all know, this course is a major course”. He walks down the podium and then into the crowd. I have to say Mr. Alexander looks too young to be a teacher, and he has that air of confidence around him, like he knows he is some big shot.

"This is a course that makes you widen your horizon, it is also a major course for the fine arts students, you will have the opportunity to submit your works in an anonymous way, that means I will grade you by your artist name, so I do not know you, but eventually there will have to be an identification s I can be able to score you" after saying this, he turns around and then walks behind the second row.

"I handle two things in this course and those two things are, Drawing and painting" he smiles slowly the smile turns into a full-blown laughter; he nods his head and then continues.

"I don't know why there are many of us this year, because you see, most students flock to poetry, and pottery. So..." he laughs subtly and then jokes “well these are all pieces of information I got from the lecturers ahead of me so, I don’t know how true that is”

"Finally, I would love to say I am so happy to meet you, and I hope we will be best of friends" he begins walking towards my position, and I become cautious, because my encounter with teachers have been ruthless so far, who knows what this lecturer would say. As he reaches my side our eyes connect, and I have to say, he is a fine man. His mouth clips shut as he stares at me, eliciting murmurs from the students in the hall.

Surprisingly after a few moments of staring at each other, he nods at me and then walks out of my view.

"Painting is a little bit similar to drawing, but they definitely aren't the same thing. To me, at least" Alexander continues…
"Here is what you need to know for now… they both are all forms of art. And art is a method of expression" I nod my head in agreement with what he says, as I understand where he is coming from.

An hour and half later the hall is clear of any student, following the announcement the school had made earlier today concerning the preparations for the graduation/convocation of the law students of the university of Koura 2023/2024 session. So, prior to the announcement students begin flooding the school gate, and I am no exception.

Though Before I think of going home, I decide to go to a refreshment stop near the school’s library, I was in need of an orange drink, I take out my wallet from my bag before getting into the store, because I don’t plan on staying in the restaurant for a long time, but then again I don’t think this is a restaurant, and I wouldn’t call it a bar too just a refreshment shop I think or maybe café seeing as coffee is also sold here, on getting to the café area I bump into a familiar face The teacher from before, Alexander Bowe.

“Hey” he calls out to me sounding like I am far away from him, and I am actually shocked, because I hardly have anyone that does that to me in public, most times they just want to view me, like see me from a far distance.

I look towards him as he calls out to me not knowing how to respond I nod my head in an awkward way
“Okay, it’s nice to see you here again” I say.

“yeah, what’s your name?” he asks me, the fact that we are standing and talking as normal people would, that’s what quips my interest, the fact that he doesn’t judge me, and the fact that he isn’t upfront about anything.

“it’s uh Katherine” I respond, he nods his head and puts his hands in his pockets, and with that, I already know that our conversation is coming to an end, but I am so grateful, because I just made small talk with someone asides my best-friend, and my family.

“See you when we have a class” he bows his head and leaves, I watch him till he pushes the glass doors of the restaurant open, looks left and right like he is about to cross the road and finally walks out.

“so mysterious” I say as I shake my head, looking up ahead I decide to face the task at hand, getting myself a chilled drink, keeping quiet when rude remarks are thrown at me, and getting used to the glares, and stares again.

After placing my order, a staff of the café gives me a tray containing the order I placed, I smile at the woman who in turn glares at me i begin walking toward an empty table, because I know no one would like to seat with me, I have a plate of cake, and a cup of juice all balanced properly on a tray, I begin recounting the events that occurred today, the scenario that played out between I and the teacher being the cherry on top of the cake, with that in mind I smile and look at my tray again.

And just as I predicted, no one walks toward my table.

As I drop the last of the cube into my juice a content smile appears on my face. “Life would be so much beautiful if majority of the students here act like the teacher” I say under my breath.