CHAPTER NINE

“Well literally that’s not so true,” I correct him as I recall how I decided to take the stairs instead of the elevator, and how my legs ached me after such rigorous exercise, the distance from my apartment to his is huge and because of the distance while using the stairs of course it feels as though even though we stay in the same apartment complex we still live slightly far away from each other.

“I know and I didn’t mean it in a literal sense” he concludes, his eyes blazing with fire, I smile inwardly as I seem to have gotten one fact about the ‘president’s son’ he doesn’t like to be corrected.

Taking in a deep breath I notice the wetness of my hands which makes me feel uncomfortable, my palms are laced with sweat, which is a sign that I am nervous.

“Let me prepare you some pasta. Don” November breaks the unnerving silence, I almost laugh when Donald turns back just to glare at her, November’s face contours in pain, like she was slapped, Now despite my current predicament, I smile I catch myself when I remember she was once my best friend, ‘just when did I become so petty?’
“There’s no need, I can handle the food prep myself, thank you for the whole grocery shopping I really appreciate” Don greets.

“oh it is no problem, I can help out as much as possible as long as I am available”

November responds, her face looks like it’s about to bathe itself in disappointment, she stares hard at Donald’s head and then picks up her purse which she dropped on a glass stool few seconds ago.

“I will take my leave now, goodbye for now” November waves, not before giving me a look of contempt, not that I care, it’s just so hard to believe that we were besties until a week ago, thing can happen in a short while I guess,
“Alright, I’ll see you next time” Donald speaks up, hearing his voice She stops moving then turns and looks at Donald who is currently placing a lot of vegetables on his sink, she gives the back of his head a yearning look, almost like she is silently pleading for him to let her stay, clearing her throat she puts a few strands of her hair behind her ear and asks him questions after questions.

This is so embarrassing, I never thought I would be able to watch something like this, I never thought I would be able to watch the mighty November June pine over a guy, I mean it is justifiable, Donald is a lean muscular guy, with beautiful looks, but this whole puppy dog eyes she’s giving him is alarming, and it looks borderline creepy.

All these thoughts I think to myself.

“I heard you’ve been given a class to teach at school?” November asks Donald, without turning to look at her he nods from where he is at. “Oh okay” November responds shyly, “I’ll take my leave now” November looks at me and then walks out of his house.

And then we go back to the awkward silence, clearing my throat I decide to break the cycle of silence, but before I do he beats me to it.

“You’re taking pasta and gravy” he tells me, there is no room for an opinion.

“Wait, pasta and what?” I ask.

“Gravy,” he responds blankly.

“What kind of Gravy are we talking about?”

“Tomato sauce for short” he responds.

“Okay” I say.

“What should I do now? Since you seem distracted” I ask. He turns and looks at me then nods like he came up with something good.