CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

My eyes are still adjusting to the dim light; the whole place looks so sad and gloomy. My hands immediately touch my face when I feel the itchiness, I feel the dried tears on my face, and immediately I think of the past occurrence I feel my tear glands releasing fresh tears. Tears stain my cheek once more as I struggle to see my surroundings through my tears and dizziness. I try as much as possible to keep quiet in case I need to escape from wherever this is.

“You’re awake,” says another person inside the room, I look towards the voice and I am able to point out the first lady of koura.

“I’ll have my son come to see you, rest for a bit,” she says as she shuts a file on her hand, I’m guessing my medical records and stands up, her eyes still on me, with a look of disgust on her face. She eyes me from head to toe and decides to take her leave.

A few seconds later Donald rushes in and is looking at me from head to toe. He immediately takes in a deep breath and looks up, pinching his nose bridge.

“You’ve been unconscious for a few hours. I had to call mom” he says as he walks toward me.

“Hope you’re okay now?” he takes a seat, and smiles sadly at me.

His eyes taking a squinting shape. I nod yes in response to his question.

“What did your mom say was the issue?” I ask Donald soon after he clasps my hand in his.

“she said you have a little bit of the propofol infusion syndrome, as a result of the propofol you inhaled, but it’s not so serious, and you have a few bruises that can be taken care of, mom made sure to prescribe drugs for you” Donald looks at me intently his eyes showing concern.

“You have to follow me home. We don’t know who did that to you” he shifts toward me and begins touching my currently frizzy hair.

“And you need to have your bath. Your mom just left. You know because of my mom. I know she hates her” I laugh unconsciously, causing me to have a bit of a headache, immediately I touch my forehead he pushes me back on the bed gently. “You have to rest a little, you’ve been drugged I think” Don says. Before I close my eyes I could sense and see the worry he exhibits in his eyes.

Maybe when I wake up we can talk more.
Waking up, i seemed to be a little drowsy as my eyes opened, and I see myself in a vehicle, recognizing Donald in front I close my eyes a little and open them only to see Miranda sitting beside me. My smile broadens as I let sleep take over my system.

“She seems to have no strength in her bones” I hear Miranda’s voice.

“I’ll step out for a minute," says Donald. Seriousness coating the once playful voice I was getting so used to.
My eyes are opening and closing, but I still find it hard to keep them open for a long period of time.

**

Once I have had my bath I come down the stairs only for me to be stopped by an angry-looking mother. It appears to be that Donald has moved, taking me along with him, according to him he says it's for safety.  We had a small talk before I even dreamt of touching anything in the strange but beautiful-looking house.

I bow my head as low as I can to greet the first lady of Koura, making me almost fall back on the stairs as the dizziness overtakes me.

“You’re welcome,” she says roughly as she sweeps past me. She is still in her doctor's coat, and her scrubs I can see is stained with I think coffee.

Immediately I walk down to the main sitting room, I am greeted by the major leaders of the country. The financial secretary is also seated amongst them. His frown did not threaten me at all, I am already used to that of the daughter so, why should I fear?

My stomach makes a rumbling sound, making all the leaders of the nation turn their heads toward me; I cower in fear, and utmost rejection.

“She’s with Donald,” says mister president. I am about to bow my head in reference when he holds up his hands.

“I wouldn’t want any one of us to catch you if you decide to fall, now would I”

He points toward his right.

“Donald is in the second room to the right. The third room once you start walking from the left” I nod, all the way looking at the financial secretary, I could read the unanswered questions in his eyes, and to him, it looks like I am stealing his daughter's spot, but only if he knew how much we are so not involved romantically.

“May I propose that my daughter comes over for a little vacation?” he asks. I am tempted to stop, but I force myself to keep walking despite the shock, of the immaturity being displayed, but I know that is the response he is looking for, and I refuse to give that response to him.

But staying in the same hose with Nora means I have to keep my pretty nose where it belongs.

I walk into the room where Donald is supposed to be. Immediately I see him, a smile brightens up my face.

Knowing I am only here till after the second hearing I am grateful to him. He and Miranda arranged places for both me and my mom to stay in for the time being. And I am so grateful for that, my mom is to stay with Miranda for as long as she likes, and I can vouch for her comfortability, but I can’t say the same for me.

My smile surprisingly is greeted by the opposite; and I am stopped by the frown on Donald’s face.

“Have a seat,” he says grudgingly

I take the seat opposite Donald, knowing at this moment that when his face is speaking something else I am not supposed to talk too much.

“Whatever closeness we used to have, I would like for it to end here” he looks up at me. His eyes denying what he says.

I smile while nodding. Familiarity in my mind no doubt.

“Whatever you say lawyer, But I have to say though I am grateful for what you’ve been doing for both me and my family”
“thank you for understanding Katherine,” he says as he releases his breath.

“I understand, so I am all up for whatever you are up for”

“Thank you, Katherine; I really appreciate you for understanding, I really do, once again you have saved me the stress of trying hard to explain myself”

“But please don’t overdo your frowning Donald, and I will ultimately respect myself” he laughs, his snort making him look cute. I love his eyes when he laughs; damn I love it all the time.

“I’ll take my leave now lawyer”

“Thank you” he mouths.

**

“So what you are saying is that my ex-bestie and yours are currently dining and winning with you?” asks Miranda looking mortified. We are currently on a video call.

“I just said they arrived few minutes before dinner, I didn't say dining and wining” she pauses and looks at me her nose hair staring blatantly at my face.

“Eww Miranda, even though I am not your boyfriend, don’t just throw your nose in my face” she laughs bringing the video father away from her face.

“So how is the house generally? My mom says it's antique and large” I nod my head slowly.

“She was so spot on with the definition, but it is so beautiful and worldly” Miranda laughs so hard her phone hits her bed, making it hard for me to see anything. She picks up her phone and we continue the conversation.

“What now?”

She asks. “Alright forget I even said something”. I pause and stare at the camera, as I think of ways to break the news I want to “About the stuff your mama is offering I think I can do it” she screams and smiles, putting her face on my screen again. Well, Miranda’s mom. Amanda asked for my help in modeling one of her newest products. She decided to go global on her skin product, and since she has a license for shipment, she decided to dive fully into products that make black skin glow this season. And it amazes me as to how she got that boldness to express her love for blacks through that very vocal medium; I mean she is not even being subtle about it. So after I spoke with Donald about it, he says it’s okay to attract a little fan base.

“Are you freaking serious?” she asks all smiles.

“Oh yes I am” I say.

“I know it took a lot of courage and also a little shove from our handsome lawyer” Miranda says.

“And I am grateful to him too” I tell her, she clears her throat and proceeds to remove the strand of hair blocking her vision from her face.

“I have to say though I am impressed; being a face for one of my mother’s brand is not going to be easy for the both of you. I mean her business might fail, and your whole dignity stuff might be hurt. So...”
I smile.

“I have a question to ask though.” I speak up, She gives a sign for me to continue.
“What is your gain from all this? I mean like why are you pushing the motion?”

“Well it's simple Kat; I want people to see how beautiful you are. I know and believe that there are tons of people out there who admire your skin and love your boldness, who despite everything wants to stand for you. I mean take a look at me, lawyer boy, and um teacher Bowe” I nod.

“Black is beautiful” she adds.

“Thank you so much” I feel tears pricking my eyes, and I feel them begin to flow down to my cheeks.

“Stop with the tears babe, but seriously I have to leave you be now, remember. My brother is coming back today”

“Bye,” she waves and ends the call, after making me cry.