CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

The windows are open, but I know my mind is elsewhere because I hear thunder rumble and see lightning appear in the sky from a distance. I've always enjoyed the coolness of the weather, and this time is no exception.

I walk toward the sofa facing the window and sit, with my phone in hand. For the past two hours I have been surfing the net, in hopes to find just a clue. Because I know I can’t be the only black in the whole of my country.

And what I have been seeing calls for spiritual help, yes, an intervention from God. I have seen a lot of 2020 articles concerning brutality in a certain African country, NIGERIA. And God it is depressing what is happening over there, to my fellow, brothers, and sisters. The number of devastating things that happened that year made me cry. The political injustice, the cry of the able citizens is even overlooked like they have no voice, and like they deserve the injustice they are getting, there was the protest against S.A.R.S “special anti-robbery squad” I saw a lot of videos online, but I could not tell just how it happened. And from what I know it’s been marked in history on October 20 2020 as black Tuesday for the country of Nigeria, a day when several blacks and citizens of Nigeria, were being murdered by the military.

And what’s worse, it is been advocated everywhere, blacks look like they have no right, they are being shot on sight, and they are being molested.

My tears are done with. I have wept for as long as I can, and I feel my head aching.
I wish I can say something, I wish I can make a move, I wish I can do something that will cause change, but for this moment, all I can do is stay strong.

I am mad right now, and at the same time, I feel like insulting myself. This moment of depression calls for some fresh air, I think. So I walk out of my apartment, all the while muttering a prayer in my mind, as the incident that occurred right here before, begins making a play in my head. I let my legs hit against the stairs as I make my way down the stairs.

Immediately I sit on the small wood just outside of the condo section I see a hooded figure like he’s been watching. Immediately my senses heighten, as I begin to make my way up the stairs, but before anything, I dial the first number on my speed dial knowing it is Donald my heart is relaxed, at least he will know how to handle a situation like this. I run back up the stairs, but it seems like after our last encounter he has worked out a little because his footsteps are closer. The sound of his heels makes it seem like there’s a huge fire just behind him.

Immediately I reach the first section of the stairs, I feel his hand cover my mouth, and at the same time I inhale something so intoxicating, something that dulls my senses making it hard for me to think, all my body organs weaken, my arms become frail, and my legs give up on me. I see the light on my phone, and Donald’s face flashes on my screen, I let my tear gland do its job, as tears begin pouring down my cheeks. My phone makes a buzzing sound that affects my palm. I pick up my phone with the last strength I could muster and at the end of it all, all I can see is black.

DONALD’S POINT OF VIEW:

I've already decided to postpone my move from this penthouse to my father's place, just because I feel so uncomfortable, and maybe because of Katherine. Speaking of Katherine, I see her name flash across my phone screen. I pick up only for me to hear some muffled sounds.

It’s hard because all I can think about right now is the safety of my friend, Katherine. The muffled sound coming off the other line has me walking around my office in my condo in utmost vain. I can’t stay put, even my legs are shaking as I end the call and dial her line again, I clench my hands in anger and anticipation. “Maybe something nice will happen” I think. But the call keeps going and going till it eventually ends on its own.

I take my car keys and walk out of my room then hurriedly run down the stairs all the while thinking; just what she was thinking coming out that late. Was she that lonely? I ask myself.

My mind and soul can’t begin to phantom just what bad thing can happen to her. These past few days, have been one of the best days of my life, and the stories she told, and the scar she has, just gets me intrigued all the time. And there is something about the way she looks at me it’s like both my mind and brain begins to think alike. And when she talks I just want to listen, although I started all of these out of pity, I just can’t seem to avoid the beauty that she seems to carry around all the time.

When she talks about her complexion, she seems at ease and content. As I run out of my door and towards my elevator, I could feel tears staining my tears. I reach down to the first floor and run out toward my small car, only to come to a halt.

‘Why did I bring out my keys in the first place?’

I see a man holding someone that looks like Katherine grudgingly; as I walk toward the pair I come to the awareness that it's indeed Katherine. My heart begins to pump blood faster than usual. My strength surpasses what it is supposed to feel like and pummels me toward the two of them. Immediately the familiar stranger hears the sound of my footstep he lets Katherine go in uncertainty, as he faces forward to the exit, and then toward the almost lifeless Katherine.

He turns and looks at me. And I look at him head on like an unspoken argument is ongoing between us both, as I come closer he takes a step backward, and with his mask on he stares at the floor where Katherine lay. He looks uncomfortable as he searches his right pocket, and then he looks the other way then he takes off. My heart says to find out the culprit, but my head says otherwise, prompting me to make a move toward Katherine.

When I step toward her, my hands immediately begin searching frantically for any injury on her body. When I realize she's been dosed with whatever chemical, I hurriedly try to lift her up, but I didn't anticipate her weight. She's so heavy that I fall back on my buttocks, causing her entire weight to fall on my stomach, and I let out an "oomph" in response.

“It's painful though,” I say whilst laughing. Even in unconsciousness she still finds a way to make me smile. I slowly but with all my strength lift her up. Immediately I regain my balance I take a step, and then another, and then walk directly up the first floor and into the elevator. I keep panting heavily with each second that goes by in the elevator.

During the whole ordeal downstairs, I saw some heads pop out their window, and I guess I will have to move out of here sooner than expected. But if they saw what happened why did they refuse to help. Immediately the elevator signifies it has reached the last floor, I input my password in an awkward way and push the door open, I lay Kat down on the first sofa I see, and rush inside to place a call to the hospital inviting the only doctor I have ever known. “My mother”