Chapter 5

Caitlin

My mom has set me up with a date with Jake McCormac tonight. I'm not good at dating. I've been on a few here and there, but none of them like this. I'm a woman now. An adult. And I know Jake is interested in me. He's older than me, more mature, and rich as sin. How do I measure up?

This week has been so strange for so many reasons.

I really thought Tristan had invited me to that afterparty to hang out with me. Imagine my surprise when he all but shoved me away and forced me and Nessa to leave the party. His hot and cold attitude has always confused me. But him trying to tell me what to do was my final straw.

I'd always loved Tristan, I hated to admit.

But I had.

Seeing him with other women never felt good.

I need to grow the fuck up.

I sigh as I take in my appearance in the mirror. Mom and I went shopping earlier today for a new dress for the occasion. Jake's taking me out for a night on the town, most likely in an attempt to 'woo' me. Jake's handsome, slightly dangerous, but also he's always been kind to me.

The way his attention as of late has lingered on me sets me off edge only slightly.

I'm wearing a black cocktail dress which looks like it belongs on someone more like Mira or Nessa, not me. I don't know if black is my color.

I adjust my boobs, trying to press them down.

Mom insisted on getting my hair blown out and my makeup professionally done. I don't even look like myself. I look about five years older than I am. Which I suppose was the point. This is the kind of woman Jake McCormac would be seen with.

God, what were we going to talk about all night?

My phone buzzes and I'm relieved to see it's Nessa.

"Hi babes," she tells me.

"HI CAITI!" Mira's voice echoes. I laugh.

"Hi ladies."

"What are you doing right now? Do you want to come over and do a night swim?" Nessa asks. I wince, realizing I never told her about my date tonight.

"Um, I can't...I have a date."

"WHAT?!" she screams.

"Yeah, I'm actually getting picked up in like, 10 minutes," I laugh nervously.

"I'm video calling you..." Nessa mutters.

A moment later, we're talking on a video call.

Mira and Nessa sit together on the back patio of the Donnelly's mansion. I hear a few guys talking close by. "Show me the outfit," Mira urges.

I laugh and place the phone on my dresser before modeling my look.

Nessa whistles. Mira cries, "DAMN GIRL!"

"Is it okay?" I ask nervously, grabbing the phone again.

"Okay?!" Nessa cries. "I've been begging you to dress like this for years!"

I laugh, rolling my eyes.

"You look beautiful, Caiti," Mira assures me. "But are you okay?"