Chapter 9

Tristan

I love you.

Caitlin's words haunt me all night. I toss and turn, unable to get any sense of rest. The way she said it, so confidently, so sure, like she knew indefinitely.

Her words still echo the next day as I train with Walt in the ring.

He knows something is off, but keeps quiet, letting me work through it.

I love her, too. In my own way.

I meant what I said. If I was capable of love, of settling down, of being married, it would be her. A thousand times.

Every time.

I hated to admit how long I imagined her that way.

Walking down the aisle towards me.

It was a picture-clear vision now.

It was just that, though, a fantasy. Not real.

I did love Caitlin. I adored her. Cared about her more than myself, more than anyone. I had for a long time. I was just afraid to admit it.

And now, I was a coward.

Jake McCormac, I could handle. I'd love her forever, but I'd be able to move on knowing she was happy and safe under his protection.

I liked Damien as a friend but thinking of him with Caitlin made me physically sick.

I didn't know how to love someone. I'd hurt her. I always hurt her. That's all I was good at. I couldn't even save her when it mattered most.

Now she was marrying Damien.

But I would come up with something. A plan.

I had a few tricks up my sleeve, still.

Damien was irrational, headstrong, impulsive. I could use that to my advantage. My brothers may not take me seriously or think I'm smart. But I'd do anything in my power to get Caitlin out of this marriage pact with Damien Yenin.

I take a break and chug some water. Walt mutters something under his breath about me being distracted. I can tell he's pissed. I don't have another fight for two weeks but with where my head's currently at, I doubted I'd be ready by then, either.

I love you.

I love you.

Her voice was so clear, so sure.

Fuck.

An hour into my workout, Sean shows up.

"Can I get a minute?" he asks Walt. Walt fucks off, leaving us be.

Sean leans against the ropes next to me.

"What?" I snap.

"You need to tell Ronan that you don't want Caitlin marrying Yenin."

"I did tell him."

"You need to tell him why."

I frown, "I don't know what the fuck you're on about."

Sean sighs. "Ro's not heartless. If you tell him you have feelings for her, he'll end this now."

"I don't," I lie.