Chapter 15

Caitlin

Nessa and I sit in the waiting room at the doctor's office. She's furiously chewing bubble gum and popping it every other second. The other people in the waiting room stare daggers at her, but she doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks. She never has.

Tristan was supposed to come with me today to the doctor but got pulled away by Ronan with some emergency with the Vitalis.

I didn't bother asking, I just told him to go.

Finally, we're called back. Nessa joins me and plops down in the chair in the office.

"Don't worry, you'll be great," she smiles. Nessa and I tease one another a lot, but she knows I'm nervous. I've only ever been to a gynecologist once before. It's been a few years, and I'm admittedly nervous about the birth control thing.

I'd done so much over the years to get past my eating disorder.

I worry that the pills will make me gain weight and bring all kinds of dark thoughts back to my mind. I shoot them down and tell myself I'm good now. I'm brave. I'm strong. I can do anything.

The doctor comes in. She's young and has a kind smile.

"Shall we get started then?" she asks.

"Sure," I nod nervously. "This is my sister-in-law."

Nessa holds up a hand to wave.

The doctor nods at her and leans back, checking out my chart.

She asks me a few questions. Some of them about sexual activity. I realize maybe having Nessa in the room was a mistake. But I couldn't come in alone. I can be kind of cowardly with doctors and stuff.

"Your urine and blood samples just came through, let me just look through these real quick," the doctor says, clicking through the screen of her computer for a few minutes.

I look at Nessa.

Nessa just shrugs, both of us unsure of what is taking so long.

The doctor looks at me then, calmly.

"You said you're here to potentially start some form of birth control? Pills?" she asks.

"That's right," I nod nervously, my heart thumping wildly.

The doctor clears her throat awkwardly. "I'm afraid I can't prescribe you those."

I blink, "What? Why?"

The doctor smiles slowly, "Because your urine test came back and, well, Caitlin...you're pregnant. Congratulations."

***********************

"...okay, stop panicking," Nessa tells me as we're driven back towards the mansion.

I completely blacked out after the doctor told me the news.

My mind and heart are racing.

Of course, I'm fucking pregnant.

That explains so much.

The weird morning sickness I've been feeling the last week or so, the tenderness of my normally eager nipples during sex. My period was a few weeks late. I've never been regular so thought nothing of it, really. I'm an idiot.