Chapter 17

Caitlin

I read a book of facts out loud to Tristan later that week. It's one of my favorites. I've read it dozens of times, but it brings me some sense of comfort.

Parker and Nessa are snoring on the couch. I giggle at their position. Nessa is draped over my brother, a stream of her drool dripping steadily on his shoulder.

I grab another of my mom's cookies.

Much to my chagrin, they are good.

The baby seems to like them, too. It's the only food I've managed to fully keep down this week. Exhaustion and morning sickness are a bitch.

Ronan and Sean enter the room.

Parker and Nessa wake with a start when Ronan clears his throat loudly.

Nessa shoves Parker away from her, even though she was the one laying on him. Parker rolls his eyes and pushes himself up.

"Any news?" Ronan asks.

I shake my head.

Nothing new.

A look of pain comes across Ronan's face.

Sean is serious as ever.

"How's Iris?" I ask.

Ronan sighs, running a hand through his hair, "Not great. She won't look at anyone, won't talk. She's healing from her physical injuries. The only person she's let near her are Nessa and Mira. Not even Cal."

"That makes sense," I mutter, "Do you think...Vitalis men..." I can't bring myself to say it. Something darkens over Sean's face.

That's the only answer I need.

I inhale sharply. "Here," I push them the dish of my mom's cookies. "Give these to her. Maybe she'll eat them."

A small smile comes across Ronan's face. "Will do."

I bite my lip. "Does she have somewhere to stay?"

"For now, she's staying in one of the guest room's in my wing," Nessa tells me.

I nod, "Good...good..."

I want to ask more. Did they find Andres Vitali?

I can't bring myself to do it, though. All I care about is that Tristan wakes up right now. They talk around me and I lean over Tristan, cuddling him. The doctor's say his wounds are healing. They even say he'll be able to get back in the ring again, if that's what he wants. His muscles are healing, despite the blood loss.

But the coma remains.

They seem hopeful he'll wake up.

Although, they were hopeful he'd wake up days ago. As each day passes, hope dims. But I try to stay strong. He will wake up. He will come back to me and our baby.

The next day, it's still me, Nessa, and Parker. Parker and Nessa play cards behind me. I'm still reading Tristan the book of facts.

Every now and then Nessa and Parker pipe up, saying things like, "no way that's real."

"It's real," I assure them, "the book of facts says so!"