Chapter 11

Caitlin

It's easy enough to pretend I need a sleepover with Nessa. Because I actually do. I've spent half my life at the Donnelly mansion. Tonight, feels different. My nerves buzz excitedly as I climb the all too familiar front steps and ring the bell.

Nessa flings the door open. "YAY!" she cries, pulling me into a hug.

I fall into her arms. The two of us hold one another for a long moment. She rubs my back comfortingly. She always knows when I need her most. I bury my face in her neck and try not to cry.

"Stop being emo," she says quietly. I can hear the emotion in her own tone. Nessa very rarely cries. She's extremely emotional – but never cries. I can hear a slight shake in her voice.

"I'm fine," I laugh, leaning back, wiping my teary eyes pathetically.

She leads me inside, talking a mile a minute.

Mira and Viv are in the kitchen. Mira's making homemade pizzas and the two women are talking animatedly. I laugh when Viv squeals and runs to me. She all but leaps into my arms and I barely contain my laughter. "Girls night! Girls night!" Mira and Nessa start chanting.

I feel only slightly guilty for using my friends to get to spend the night with Tristan, but I need a girls night, too.

"Pizza's almost ready!" Mira tells me, kissing both my cheeks.

Nessa grabs a bottle of wine. "And we are cracking this open!"

"Woo!" Viv claps her hands together excitedly.

Nessa starts pouring four glasses, but Mira stops her.

"I'm just going to have water tonight," she tells her.

All of our eyes dart to Mira.

Mira swallows and blushes, "What?" she snaps.

"Are you fucking pregnant?" Nessa beams.

I gasp. Viv's eyes go wide with thrill.

"No, I mean, I don't know. I..." Mira fumbles. She never fumbles. The three of us squeal excitedly. "We might be...you know...trying."

"AHHH!" Nessa wiggles her ass happily. "I'm going to be an aunt!"

"Don't get ahead of yourself," Mira shoots her a look.

"I'm so happy for you, I'm glad you two are trying," I hug Mira. She kisses my cheek again. Mira's been like a big sister to me since the day I met her.

"Cheers! To friends!" Viv holds up her glass.

The four of us clink them together and I sip the sweet red.

Nessa turns on a fun hip-hop song and gets on the kitchen island, continuing to shake her butt. It's impossible not to be happy around these girls. I start laughing as she reaches down and pulls me up.

Viv surprises me when she starts singing along with the scandalous lyrics.

Mira snaps a few selfies of the four of us.

Nessa and I start dancing back-to-back on the counter. We aren't even drunk yet and we're cackling and singing at the top of our lungs. Mira is playfully popping her booty as she pulls the pizzas out of the oven.