Chapter Three: Survivor's Guilt

"You're safe for now." The man grunts, as his hand clasps onto his right side.

"Thanks..." I sigh with exhaustion. "Are you okay?" Leon looks up at me, and smoothly gets off of my lower half. 

"So far as I know." He turns over, getting a look at the man who saved both of us.

"Marvin Branagh" He says stern.

"Leon Kennedy.....There was another officer--I couldn't- I couldn't..." Leon slowly, closes his eyes. His breath hitching, then rapidly increasing. 

He's  hyperventilating.

"Slow down." My hand flies toward his chest, making his eyes pop out of his skull. "You're breathing, is feeding into some sort of panic. Give yourself a second of composure." He nods, closing his eyes once more.

"And you are?" Marvin asks, a bit of suspicious in his voice.

"Y/N L/N." I state, feeling Leon's heartbeat slow.

"I'm guessing you're not a cop?" I remove my hand, and stand up.

"Microbiologist." I state.

"That was my second guess." He smirks, slowly walking towards Leon. "Here." He offers his hand, Leon accepts as he jumps up with a new found energy. "I'm sure you did what you could." Marvin's eyes travel, curiously I spot what he's looking at. A brown couch with a computer of some sort, is across from us. 

My hand extends, as my body follows, helping guide Marvin to the couch he desired. Once placing him there, I walk across, taking a seat on a desk. Leon approaches with a stern face, his eyes going back and forth from Marvin to his device.

"Does anyone know what started this?" Leon states.

"No clue." Marvin follows up.

"I have a theory." Both men look at me, their eyes begging for questions to be answered. "This obviously wasn't an accident. This is too unnatural, it had to have been man-made."

"So, what are you saying?" Leon walks towards me.

"I'm saying....that this might've been on purpose. A possible terrorist attack...?" Marvin eyes stay on me, his cold exterior coming to light. 

"What are you exactly saying?" He questions.

"I'm stating that this was no accident, someone did this, they made it to travel hard and fast so no one can act upon it. If you believe this was on 'nature', then stick with that answer." Leon exchanges a glance from Marvin then to me. Like he was awkwardly in the middle of this banter, but for a moment, he took another glance at me.

"Whatever this is, this place will eat you alive." He pulls out a small pocket book. "You're both here, that's all that matters right now."

"Ok, Lieutenant, I'm ready." Leon declares, taking steps forward Marvin. Even at a moment like this, he can be charming. His little gratitude, making it wholesome. Made me consider him being a bit cute. Marvin looks up, as the blond confidently guards him.

"Hopefully, you two will find a way out of this station. The officer you met earlier, Elliot--he thought this secret passage might do the trick." I hop off the desk, and stand near Leon. My eyes peaking over, until Leon notices and proceeds to share the tiny book with me.

"This is perfect. We can get you to a hospital--" Marvin raises his voice, shaking his head. Leon's face growing grim again.

"No, no. I am NOT priority here." Leon attempts to speak up, getting shut down immediately. "I'm giving you an order rookie. Save you and your girl first." 

"You've been bit, haven't you?" My sentence cutting the tension. "On some of those--things, I've seen bites. Others....its unknown on how they turned." Marvin stands, holding out a huge knife. "I can't--"

"Just take it. That little thing won't do you good from here on out." Gently I accept, seeing his hope leave him. The light slowly leaving from his eyes, like he was giving it to me instead. "Now go."

The knife balances on the palm of my hand, my fingers slowly gripping the combat weapon. Marvin takes a seat, I take a moment to separate from the situation. I walk over to the main lobby, pulling out the knife. Using my thumb to trace over the edges of the knife, the leather feeling warm against my hand. 

"Are you alright?" His smooth voice asks. I don't remove my eyes from the blade, hearing his footsteps draw closer to me. 

To keep the space between, I spot a blue curtain across. I assume it was to hide hurt victims, probably a SOS from the hospital. My feet travel, as I take the knife, and hitting it against the curtain. It creates a smooth, clean split, showing it's durability was still as good as new.

"Y/N, are you--" Impulsively I spin around, seeing how close he actually was. A few inches apart, if my head moved, I could've kissed him. What am I thinking?!

"Leon I have to tell you something." My mouth spurts out, letting it easier to step back.

"What is it?" He asks, with more urgency.

"I..." My nerves get ahold of me. "I was...bitten." Leon's eyes shoot to my arm, he takes it with ease.

"When was this?" He uses his uniform to wipe off the excess blood. 

"Back at the airport." Leon's gaze softens, his eyes moving to mine.

"The wound closed." My eyes widen, shooting at my bite mark.

"What....?" He was right, the wound was closed.