Chapter Nine: Four Pairs of Eyes

His eyes are fixated on Leon's, it's like I'm not even here, it's like a staring contest. Leon backs up, nudging the stairs behind us. As I exchange a glance, the man starts running. Leon grabs my hand, leading me down the stairs as he almost hits the railing where Leon was standing. We both back up into the room with the whiteboard.

"Leon that thing, wants you." I state calmly.

"Are you crazy?! He's out for blood!" Rain lightly drops on my forehead, as I look up at him going down the stairs.

"You aren't listening, he's specifically targeting you!" I shout, as Leon aims.

"Just stand near me!" He orders, as the man slowly approaches us.

Quickly I run in front of Leon, aiming my sight on him. Spraying bullets into his chest, he stops and pushes me into a wall. My body lightly hitting it, Leon looks at me, then back at him. He grabs his face, holding him up. Leon's muffles his screams by the mans palm, I pull out my knife, stabbing into the wrist. He drops Leon, I grab his forearm and guide him back upstairs.

I look back, seeing we got enough space to leave. Making a b-line towards the hall we were in, it's clear since he moves the helicopter. Using my strength I push Leon in, slamming the door, he stand there, staring at me. Grabbing him again, I exit the hallway of where we met the beast, I see two doors. One has a green clover on it, I release Leon, pulling out the key and unlocking the door with haste. 

Slamming the door open, there are two separate rooms with broken windows. Leon walks through, as I close the door again. 

"H-How did you know it was after me?" Kicking some of the glass, I make a safe opening to hop over.

"He was only staring at you, ignoring me completely." Swiftly I jump through, patting the excess glass away. "Bullets didn't do anything, it's either that guy has some serious padding, or he's also mutated like everyone else."

"What are you saying?" My foot clears more glass, my forearm balances as I jump over.

"Obvious it isn't human." Leon jumps over, I turn around, seeing him in close proximity. "How's your face?" He chuckles, touching his cheek.

"Better than it could be." Gently he grabs my forearm, looking at the bite. "How are you feeling?" He lowers his voice.

"Fine, I'm fine." I state dry, slowly removing my arm from his grasp.

In the room, there are desks surrounding the area. While half of it's dark like a warehouse, a second floor is shown but no entrance. The window above the wall giving us some light, but Leon didn't need it anyways. He clicks his flashlight and starts looking around, I follow his lead and do the same. Opening these desks, I keep finding papers, old documents containing evidence or simple reports. 

Nothing foreshadowed this event, no clues have led me to this outbreak. Could have this been an accident....or an actual terrorist attack? Placing down the file I spot ammo for my pistol, shoving it into my back pocket. The heavy pressure of steps keep me in check of where Leon is, he's on the opposite side of the wall. A bright reflective spot points out metal against the pole, squinting I see it's for that red crank.

"Leon?" I raise my voice, expecting his presence beside me.

"Yeah?" A hear a drawer slide open, the dry wood scraping against the metal. His voice having an echo from across the room.

The heavy steps stop, I pause peaking my eyes through a shelf. Slowly my neck lowers, as the shadow stands at the end of the wall. Black leather clothing covers his skin, as his eyes are no where to be found, two black squares freeze as we stare at each other. A step I take forward, makes the figure move backwards.