Chapter Twenty-Two: Recruitment

Feeling the warmth, my eyes flutter open. Morning was here, the sun was out as the blue sky surrounds the window. Turning my head, Sherry is asleep on the bench, Claire across watching her. As I follow the opposite side, those familiar blue pants awaken my state, Leon is looking at the conductor window, seeing us approach our destination. Uncrossing his arms he quickly notices me.

"Hey." He calmly mumbles, leaning down to me.

"Hi." Unable to form words yet, his lips turn up. 

"How did you sleep?" Blinking slowly, I feel the acceleration of the train decrease.

"Hm...?" I hum with satisfaction, nodding my head against the wall. Swallowing saliva to cover the dryness on my tongue.

"Good, that's good." He chuckles lightly, looking back at the front of the train. "We're safe, we are hitting the highway." Sherry sitting up, rubbing her eyes with a fist.

"Are you okay?" I whisper, leaning my head upwards to him. 

"More than okay." He slips his arm behind my back, I watch his other arm swoop under my legs

"Don't--I can walk." My hand finds itself on his chest, stopping him from continuing. Removing his arm from my legs, he helps guides me onto my feet. "I want a hot shower." As I whine, complaining about the dirt on us, Leon holds laughter in his throat.

"Don't we all." He takes a deep breath, repeating his statement. "Don't we all."

The train stops, Claire holds onto Sherry as Leon guides me down the steps. Exiting the station, the heat beats down on us, not a cloud in sight. A breeze would come and go in minutes, so we didn't fry out here. It felt like we won, the distance is now between us and the station, we all survived the damn city. Leon grasp leaves me, a pattern of all four of us walking down the dry, cracked road.

"So...are you guys, like, boyfriend and girlfriend?" Sherry chirps, staring at Leon and I. We halt, surprised at the random question.

"No we're just uh--" Conjuring up an answer, I look at Leon, needing the help.

"Well, we actually just met....last night?" Claire raising a brow, Sherry inserts herself between Leon and I.

"Yeah, That would've been one helluva first date, though." Leon smiles at me, I reach a hand to Sherry as she happily takes it.

"Yeah, you have no idea--" Leon gets cut off by Sherry point at a truck ahead of us.

"Look!" We all turn. "He might be able to give us a ride."

"What if it's not just the city." Claire mutters, Leon steps up, signaling us to give space.

The truck increases it's speed, probably going over the standard speed limit due to the empty road. Before reaching us, a hand pops out, a man holds up his middle finger proud. The awkward interaction passing us by, as the dust from the road spirals in front of us.

"I think it's just the city." Cracking a joke, Leon turns towards Sherry and I.

"Well, he was friendly." Leon shrugs, "As long as we stick together, we'll be fine."

Sprinting up to Leon, Sherry holds on tight to me. Leon opens her hand, palm facing down towards Sherry, tilting his head towards himself.

"Come on." He states, Sherry accepting his hand. Sherry swings her hands, making Leon and I join her, hand in hand.

"Hey! You guys can adopt me!" Sherry excitedly shouts.

"Adopt you...?" Leon questions.

"We can get a puppy!" She exclaims.