Chapter Five: Protection

I kneel down, seeing the desk drawer have two locks on each side. With my luck I try pulling, hoping the locks were loose. My body lifts me up, as I spot a note laying right on top of the blood splattered wood. Gently I grab it, seeing Leon's name at the top. Quickly, I spot Leon coming out of a room beside me. His eyes meet mine, knowing I was waiting for him to come back.

"I think you should read this." My voice lowers, he takes it, shining his flashlight on the stained red paper. "This was supposed to be your desk." I follow as I show him the tag on the desk.

"This started days ago.....I should've--" He looks at me, I quickly cut him off.

"You didn't know, right now I want to find answers and the bitch who did this." He walks closer to me, placing down the items. "This isn't some natural disaster, this was man-made."

"What did you say you did for work again?" Confusingly I stare at him.

"Microbiologist, I work in the back, doing tests to find a cure." He tilts his head, looking down at the gun, then me. "Stop looking at me, and tell me what you're thinking."

"Pretend like you're going to shoot that book over there." Willingly I comply, my eyes slowly traveling to the book then back to Leon. "I seeing if a scientist like you has good aim."

I hold out both my arms, staring at the book. My hands grip the handle, feeling the intensity of having to release a bullet from the chamber. Leon slowly puts his hand on mine, fixing my grip to be more soft. He stands behind me, his breathing hitches as I feel the exhale on my neck. Extra saliva starts producing, I gulp as he takes his other hand to adjust my aim. His finger traces along mine at the trigger, he applies a light pressure, but quickly stopping.

"Right there." He states lowly. "A bit more pressure, and you got it."

"My dad was a Texan, this is not my second time holding a gun." My head turns, making me notice how close he actually was. "I'm guessing that gun range was a good idea, huh?"

"Mhm....." He mumbles, I swallow my saliva again, and put the gun down. His arms release, as I look over at the room he was in. 

"A safe?" I state.

"Uh, ye--yeah. I can't crack it." He puts his hands on his hips.

"Let's trade, I can't crack these locks, but I know I can probably open that safe." My hand points towards it, he looks over.

"Really?" He states.

"Really." My lips copy. "Don't report me, but I used to open my dad's safe for his bourbon."

He chuckles, as I enter the room, seeing a body laying down. Carefully I hop over, and kneel down to the safe. Pressing my ear against the metal, slowly my fingers turn the dial.

Click.

Click. Click.

Click.

Click. Click. Click.

Bam! That's how you crack a safe. God. I am truly talented. The metal door creaks open, revealing a gun holster with R.P.D. stamped across in white. I take it, and use it on myself. Wrapping it around my waist, adjusting the belt to perfectly hug my hips. The pistol fits in the holster, making it easier to move around and use mobility on my arms. Leon enters the room, making me almost bump into him while exiting.

"Jesus!" My hand goes on my heart.

"A holster was in the safe? Man, you think it be something better." He says, lighting up the mood. He leads the way out, before I stop, seeing files missing from some tables.

"Leon." He stops before opening the door. "Do you think this building may have a forensic room?"

"I think so, why?" I bite my lip, turning back to see evidence possibly missing.

"I'm gonna find the room and see if we have any clues of how this happened." Leon's face is hard to read when he's deep in thought, but I know he probably doesn't support this idea as much as I do. Somehow I have to try and make him agree, without feeling the heroic emotions of a good cop. "We need these answers, if we're going to survive I wanna be able to give them something to work with, at least a proper report of this traumatic event." Right, use the law against the law. 

"Fine, but if anything happens we meet back at Marvin or you yell my name." Slowly I sigh, feeling success.

"Wouldn't think of anything better." We both enter the hallway, exchanging glances as our bodies separate to opposite sides of the building. 

The moonlight and broken street lamps, help see what's left of the room. The glare, bouncing off the walls. I pull out my pistol, holding it downwards, but making sure it's by my side in case I accidently shoot my foot. A cloud rushes over the moon, pausing to make my situation even worse. Less lightning would be the way I would die, not even if I fought in complete darkness would redeem it. Quickly dark shapes form, making me question what I'm trying to look at in the first place. Squinting my eyes, a figure appears, a tall man. I aim my gun at him, shaking, knowing it'll come running.

"Come on, you son of a bitch." I whisper. In a blink the figure disappears. 

The cloud moves, giving my eyes a break from soon developed wrinkles. The figure was never there, nothing is there. Am I going crazy? Could it be the infection in me? No--no, hallucinations doesn't make sense. It's a physical sickness, not mental....not mental. Slowly I turn the corner, aiming my gun at anything that moves on sight. A dim light, sways showing me a breakout ahead of me, a little red flickering in the room. 

"Breakroom..?" My eyebrow raises, as I pick up the pace, seeing cleaning products and items in the sink. I peer over, seeing a couple of photos from evidence. "Bingo." I use the tools beside it, picking it up as water drips down. This might be for another case, it doesn't give me any information. "Damn."

A loud crash occurs, my body jumps as my hand drops the photos. I turn around aiming my pistol, my eyes notice a sign, a warning to not leave out film evidence. Another bang outside the room follows up. My hands shake, as I lean my body, seeing a new corpse lined up on the wall. Confused, I hear another loud thump follow the exit of this section of the building. Quickly I follow, seeing fresh corpses in new places. In the corner of my eye I spot something move, my gut tells me to follow it. 

My shoes start to make noise as I follow whoever is with me, my leg flies kicking a door open. The shadow exits the stairway, I lean forward unable to get a good look. 

"Come back here!" I shout. My feet rush down the first staircase, before a loud explosion happens behind me. The result slams me forward the wall ahead of me, I sit down seeing fire escape the door. The alarms start to ring, as groans and growls follow along like a harmony. "Shit."