XVI - Skid

A slide on slippery ground; to move sideways towards the outside of a turning maneuver.

* * *

December 4th, 0000Z (0800LCL)
Location: Negros Occidental, Philippines

Compared to that time that I've been kidnapped by Elian, to which I've fallen asleep for most of the journey, I keep my eyes wide open during the return back. My mind had been busy in weighing to have a good grasp of this reality and my dreams; fearing that things are starting to blend too well with one another that it is scary to believe that one influences the other. However, all of this, wishing to keep myself be considered sane, I keep it to myself.

"You're awfully quiet for someone who definitely has too many questions to ask," Elian suddenly speaks up by the time we're approaching the Guihulngan-Bulado Port to catch the nine o'clock ride back to Cebu.

I've been keeping a good watch of the greenery view outside, seldom obscured by houses that is completely different to the cities elsewhere. This time, as we neared the port, the blue waters also turn to be viewed, wherein across the strait is definitely the island of our destination. At his statement, I remain a little indifferent, saying, "And for someone who has too many things to explain, I definitely do not need to ask those questions at all and be given an answer instead."

He sighs heavily. "My family likes you. Or rather, that part of the family. There's still other cousins and aunts and uncles out there, and my parents, of course. They thought that we are together, even if I've explained to them the situation at hand that you were with me for the sake of the delicacies."

Akala mo naman na sinama talaga ako para bumili ng mga pasalubong! To be honest, he told me yesterday that the shop he knew was on this island; and yet, we're now heading back to the other across the strait without even stopping at the respective store!

"Pero dahil sa schedule, pinabili ko na lang lahat ng possible na magugustuhan mo. Kaya 'yong tatlong paper bag doon ay sa iyo," he adds. "I know na sinabi kong sasamahan kita, but late na pala tayo makakarating sa Negros tapos ngayon maaga pang babalik para sa shoot. For that, I am sorry."

I turn to the paper bags there are at the back passenger seat. True that those are the same ones that his cousin's wife informed me to be what he had asked for, and it was filled of a variety of delicacies. "Elian, alam mo naman siguro na may cargo limits lang sa eroplano, hindi ba? Per passenger, at least?"

"Kunin mo na lang muna 'yong kaya mong maipasama sa baggage mo. Or rather, kung ano lang ang kakainin mo muna. Ako na bahala sa iba; tapos pagbalik natin ng Maynila, ibigay ko sa iyo," he remarks.

For a moment, I want to reject and tell him with finality that I do not want to have any interaction with him anymore. It isn't because I hate him or what, but because doing so is making me troubled that I am turning insane with the dreams of my own making. It is like I need to be far away from him as possible for the sake of my own sanity; however, will my mind even allow me to? The pull is strangely there despite me thinking that it isn't present.

I stare at him intently and frankly tell him, "Hindi kita maintindihan, Elian."

"Anong mahirap intindihin sa sinabi ko?"

"Ang ibig kong sabihin ay hindi ko alam kung bakit ganito ang turing mo sa akin. 'Wag mo na din ipagkaila na ikaw ang nagsabi na bilhan ako ng damit na susuotin; for that, thank you. And maging sa mga pasalubong na pwede mo naman sabihin sa akin na wala kang panahon na samahan talaga ako, pero pinabili mo pa rin. Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit parang ang bait-bait mo bigla sa akin. Na parang magkaibigan tayo o matagal na tayong magkakilala." I gulp in hard. "Yeah, I'll be honest na matagal na kitang kilala. Sino bang hindi makakakilala sa iyo sa Ateneo? Tapos hindi pa naman talaga nagkakatagpo ang landas natin; ngayon lang na para sa promotion na ito. Tapos ang weirdo na ng lahat ng mga kinikilos mo concerning me. And it is not just creepy, but definitely suspicious. Hindi ko talaga maintindihan kung bakit, Elian."