XXII: Inversion Layer

A layer of the atmosphere in which the temperature increases as altitude increases.

* * *

December 5th, 0500Z (1300LCL)
Location: Bohol, Philippines

"First, you'll hear a love story. And second, you'll definitely hear the phrase: "Because flying feels like home"."

Capt. Zablan's words to me strike like a cord. It is like a reminder all over to me from what I've just seen out of from the dreamscape. And it is only making me quite guilty about punishing César about something that he truly loves above all.

It may be so presumptuous of me to even say that his love for the dream version of me will never be enough compared to that of his desire with flying. But then, every time I remember him now... after that recent dream, I can't help saying that there is a different form of affection there. Not to mention that when I look up at him, it all once again reminds me that I love every part of him—even that part who is in love with flying. That I am in love with a man in love with the skies.

I can also attest to that of Capt. Zablan's words. I may not have heard the entire story of why César chose to be a pilot over than to be a chemist, but I heard a glimpse of his time with flying. And I agree with Capt. Zablan in saying that it sounds like I am listening to some love story at that. To add, I do not need to hear it from him that he also feels at home when he is flying than elsewhere.

Elian, however, is a completely different matter. He remains an enigma. A great ambiguity in all there is. What he hides behind that façade surely is something no one, even me, can possibly know of; unless he himself willingly shows it. But I doubt that he will; precisely where he and César tend to be different, I guess.

After ensuring the necessary shots at the Chocolate Hills Natural Monument are complete, with my and Capt. Zablan finally reaching the peak's viewing deck, the rest of the team head on to the next part of the trip that coincides with our lunch at the Loboc River's Floating Restaurant Cruise. Due to our number, it is a good call for the reservation and lead us to have for ourselves the entire cruise, complete with the variety of foods served and musicians eager to be part of the promotional shoot no matter how small the exposure may be.

But then, it looks like I am only feeling the queasiness and sickness that seems to be brewing for the past few days since the promotional shooting starts that coincides as well to my restless sleeps due to the dreams. It seems to have piled up so well that despite wanting to have the appetite to eat more from the wide collection of foods, I can't help my brain that is telling me to slow down.

My colleagues recognize it at first that when we finish our lunch and everyone's wanting to get the promotion shoot continue on for the rest of the cruise's trip, I am given the clearance to remain at one corner to settle down and rest. I hate being a nuisance, but fighting against them now may only result for me to worsen and be unable to work properly in the next coming days. After all, we're just almost halfway throughout this promotional shooting.

I cross my arms on top of a cleared table and watch how the flight crews are the ones currently under the spotlight with the on-board musicians. Both Capt. Zablan and Elian, however, are watching behind the reels; talking in hushed voices as usual over something that only them will definitely know about. I suddenly remember that secret I shared with Capt. Zablan at the start of this promotion, and I wondered if he had told Elian about it already; as if I actually mind.

In the end, after a heavy sigh, I press my face against my arms and try to sleep. The soft sway and lull of the cruise itself, the usual voices in a promotion set, and the vibrant music being played, in a normal day, will not mind me at all and lead me straight to sleep. I may be the usual light-sleeper, but I find it quite easy, too, to fall asleep amidst the noise itself.