1| Win

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Win

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 1: Win (Amara's POV)

"Pret? Allez!" Mr. Eliot announced. 

"Last round, Amara," she sighed, "I can't let you win." 

"Let me?" I chuckled, stepping forward as I adjusted my grip on the épée sword in my right hand. "When have you ever let me win, Aurora? I simply do." 

"You're one cocky bitch." 

"Thank you," I smiled behind the mask before lunging forward, my sword clashing with hers as I knocked it aside and pinned the point of my sword into her torso. She huffed lightly in frustration as we both retreated. "How much is that for me, Mr. Eliot?" I asked, turning to him. 

The smile on his face betrayed his neutral stance. "Pret? Allez!" he announced again and we resumed our final round of fencing until the timer for the last round went off. "Halt!" Mr. Eliot exclaimed, "I'm sorry my dear," he chuckled, glancing at Aurora, "Amara wins." 

I caught my breath as I ripped my mask off and shook my hair out with a grin. "What were you saying about not letting me win this time?" I asked with a tilt of my head. 

Groaning loudly, Aurora took her mask off and tossed it on the mat. "Only you can ever beat me," she said, pointing the tip of the sword at me. 

"I beat everybody I've ever played with. Don't take it personally," I panted lightly as I dropped the sword and unstrapped my glove, tugging it off with my teeth and then tossing that on the bench before I had a drink of water. Sitting down, I couldn't help but laugh at the frown on her face. "Come on," I said, patting the spot beside mine, "nobody wins or loses among best friends." 

"Until they lose," she muttered as she plopped beside me and took my water bottle. "What are you doing tonight? I hope you're not going back to the office after this." 

"No, I'll work from home later tonight." 

"Amara, seriously? You work like a maniac once you get your hands on a case." 

"This case is big. I'm meeting the defendant tomorrow with their attorney. I can't afford to slack off on it. Not until tomorrow." 

Her gaze followed me as I rose to my feet. "No, you just work yourself to the brink of frustration, call me for a fencing match, and then take it out on me," she said pointedly. 

I chuckled as I picked up my sword and spun around, pointing it at her. "You up for another round?" 

"Absolutely not." She stood up and ran a hand through her hair. "I'm going home. It's already six, no point in going back to work. Lunch? Tomorrow?" 

"If you're paying." 

Narrowing her eyes at me, she stalked forward. "Since I lost, I'll take that graciously. I need a shower after this. Are you staying back?" 

I turned my attention to Mr. Eliot and changed the direction of my épée until it pointed at him. "Are you up for a round, Mr. Eliot?"