33| Suspects

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Suspects

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 33: Suspects (Amara's POV)

It took a lot for Tristan to put his trust in someone and the last time he let me in, I ran off. I didn't have much of a choice but I wasn't sure he would understand that. I decided to tell him as soon as I could; I owed it to him. 

This morning, while I was still asleep, Tristan's phone rang and even though I couldn't make out what he was saying, he told me that it was a call from work and that he would be back later. Then, he left me with a kiss on the cheek. 

It was strange to see Tristan like this. It made me wonder if I would have gotten this chance earlier had I stayed. I had never seen Tristan this gentle and soft with someone, let alone with me. It was unfathomable until recently. 

But now that I had seen him this way, and I'd seen him showing such affection toward me, I never wanted to let it go. I wasn't just willing to, but I genuinely wanted to see and keep every side of Tristan. Even the brutally ruthless one that wanted to kill me. 

Once I had breakfast this morning, I went downstairs to pick up my mail and in it I found a black envelope with a blood-red, wax seal on it, my full name etched on the front in gold. As I walked back into my apartment, I tore it open and read the invitation. 

It was an invite to an art auction being held at a well-known gallery down on Wall Street and hosted by a woman named Adeline Vaughn. At first, the name was unfamiliar. 

Rushing up to my office, I set the invite aside and skimmed through the list of suspects, my gaze landing on the name Jason Vaughn. 

She's his wife. 

Deciding to attend, I moved to my room and began searching for a dress for the event. I was halfway through my cup of tea when my phone rang. 

I let out a small breath, reading Tristan's name, and waited precisely for three beats before answering. "Hello?" Biting down on the smallest of grins, I moved back to my closet and continued sorting through. 

"Do you mind getting the door or can I let myself in?" 

Pausing, I set the dress back down and got out of the walk-in closet, heading down to the door. "You're here?" I questioned. "You just left a few hours ago," I mused, unlocking the door. As I swung it open, I found Tristan standing right there, the phone pressed to his ear just as mine was. 

Hanging up, he pocketed the phone without ever breaking my gaze and then stepped forward, leaning against the door frame. "I'm here for work. What were you thinking?" he smirked, folding his arms across his chest. 

My gaze narrowed at home before I rolled my eyes and planted myself in the doorway, blocking his way. "I don't remember asking for your help today," I said. 

"Well, I'm here regardless," he replied, bracing his hands on my waist and stepping forward, forcing me to take several steps back and let him inside. 

I couldn't help the laugh that crawled up my throat as Tristan leaned in quickly, kissing me. "I thought you were here for work," I mumbled against his lips, smiling.