49| Trace

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Trace

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 49: Trace (Amara's POV)

"There we go," Tristan mumbled softly as he set me down in bed. 

I was drowsy and tipsy and gave up walking the moment we stepped out of the restaurant. Without a second thought, Tristan scooped me up and first carried me to the car. Even though I had sobered up a little over the long drive back, I was still a little out of it, and Tristan wasted no time in carrying me into the house. 

I couldn't help the giggles that kept pouring out of me or how my hands eagerly swept over his body. I grabbed onto his shirt before he could pull away and tugged him forward. 

"You are so handsy when you're drunk," he chuckled, taking my hands in his and sitting beside me. 

I sat upright almost immediately and inched closer to him. "Kiss me." 

"You're drunk." 

"So? Kiss me." 

"I can't do that." 

"Kiss me!" 

"Malyshka," he sighed softly in defeat, taking my face in his hands to lean in and gently kiss my forehead. 

I frowned at him, my eyes drifting to his pocket as he reached for it, his movements slowing as he patted it down. 

"I think I left the car running," he mumbled. 

A small laugh escaped me as he stood up, frantically searching his pockets. "They won't magically appear," I teased, "go get the keys." 

He groaned softly, "I'll be right back, don't move." Tristan walked out of the room and closed the door behind him. 

I stayed in bed for several moments before standing up to change out of my dress and into something more comfortable. I expected Tristan to be back by the time I returned from the bathroom in my pajamas, but when I found the room empty, I was utterly confused. 

Splashing some water on my face and freshening up for bed sobered me up just enough. Running a hand through my hair, I walked out of the room and glanced at the balcony as I hovered at the top of the stairs. "Tristan?!" I called out. 

Blinking a few times, I cleared my hazy vision and grabbed onto the railing, slowly heading downstairs. First, I stopped by the kitchen and took a glass of water while I was at it. 

Why is it taking him so long? 

A soft groan escaped me as I set my glass in the sink and headed to the living room, planning to take a glimpse out of the window panels to see what Tristan was doing. With the first step I took into the living room, the doorbell echoed throughout the house. 

"He didn't even leave the door unlocked," I snickered to myself as I headed over and unlocked it. "Did you forget to leave the door—" My words died down in my throat the moment I lifted my gaze and recognized the man standing before me.