31| Games

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Games

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Extra long chapter

Chapter 31: Games (Amara's POV)

Sending Tristan home was supposed to make things better, easier even. But all that it led to was a restless, sleepless night. My head was a mess with thoughts scattered across every corner of it, my body even more so with dozens of emotions racing through me simultaneously. 

I didn't know how to feel, if I should regret it or... give in. I couldn't understand what went through Tristan's head when he kissed me or what the hell I was thinking for letting it happen and reciprocating it. 

The rational side of me told me it was a mistake and I should never let it happen again, that I should walk away from the situation, and yet my heart failed to comprehend how something so wrong could feel so... needed, so right, so inevitable. 

I would be a liar if I denied the magnetic pull between Tristan and me but I'd spent so long ignoring and avoiding it, so long pretending as if it didn't exist that now I didn't know how to react when it was staring right back at me. I had nowhere to run to. 

A part of me wished that Tristan wouldn't show up this morning, that he would bail on me so I could at least focus on work. 

But he had never been one to run away from a problem, in fact, he hated that I'd done it in the past and never even allowed him the opportunity to ask for an explanation that he deserved. That still gnawed at me to this day. 

My gaze skimmed over my attire, taking in the flared-out, faded jeans, the simple white tank top I wore, and the slightly oversized black leather jacket on top of it. It had been a while since I left my apartment dressed so casually but the last thing I needed was to be spotted as I tailed today's suspect. 

A startled breath escaped me as my doorbell rang, snapping me out of it. Groaning softly, I grabbed my things and scooped up Donna, placing her on the living room couch before heading to the door. Inhaling deeply, I clenched my hand into a fist before taking the doorknob and twisting it open. 

No matter how much I tried, nothing could have prepared me for what shot through my body when my gaze collided with Tristan's. 

Every single sensation from last night coursed through my veins at the sight of him. It felt like my heart was collapsing, like my lungs were constricted as if there wasn't enough air in this room for me; it felt like everything had simply stopped. 

My eyes glanced over his clothes, taking in the collared, v-neck black rib-knit sweater that he wore with simple black pants, his belt lightly flashing between the two. With his sleeves rolled up to his elbows and his watch twinkling on his wrist, he somehow looked even better than he did on most days, despite being dressed more casually. 

He stepped forward and my grip tightened on the door as I stayed rooted to my spot, lifting my chin to meet his eyes as he towered over me. "Ms. Milano," he greeted. 

"Mr. Harper," I replied curtly. 

"Take your helmet," he said.