27| Mercy

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Mercy

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 27: Mercy (Amara's POV)

My plan was simple in theory. Have small conversations with the people who were on the list of official suspects in the Ricci case and try to pry the smallest of details out of them. Based on where the night took me and what information I gathered, I would have to keep an eye on the people I found suspicious and gather more evidence linking them to the case. 

For now, I would have to start gathering some attention and striking up some conversations. I started by getting myself a drink and sipping on it as I moved through the room, keeping my eyes and ears open, and taking note of all the guests. 

The hall was enormous with doors in each corner of the room, leading to different rooms where I assumed other... activities and games took place. Eventually, I moved on and started speaking with some of the men in attendance. 

An hour or so passed and I made a detour to the bar, asking for a refill. As the bartender prepared my drink, I scanned the room and then started asking a few questions. "Is it always so busy here every weekend?" 

He glanced at me and smiled softly. "First time?" 

I nodded back with a sheepish grin. 

"It's always this full, every Sunday," he answered, "The Hunt offers most services on Sunday. Private dances, private rooms, and some games too." 

"What kind of games?" I questioned. 

"All kinds of games," he smiled, "the dirty ones and the risky ones." 

I glanced at the room Dante slipped into. "Like Russian Roulette?" 

He paused in surprise before nodding slowly and repeating in confirmation, "Like Russian Roulette. It's mostly men there in that room. Only a rare few take that challenge and walk in. The game starts in ten." 

I hummed in understanding and took my glass as he offered it. "Thanks." I stalled for those ten minutes and strolled around, finishing my martini while contemplating what to do. If I walked into that room, the chances of me walking out alive could be slimmer than I thought. 

Could I really gamble on my life for this case? That too, just for a little information? Russian Roulette wasn't a stupid little game where you won or lost. If you lost, you were losing your life. 

Pulling a trigger at your own head, not knowing if you were shooting a blank or a bullet, not knowing if you'd live or die at your own hands... it was a horrifying thought. But if men, even the most powerful ones, were willing to gamble on their lives here at The Hunt, then it must be worth it. 

If men, the dumbest ones at that, could play this game, then surely someone as cunning as me could beat them at it. I claimed that this case was worth sacrificing my life and I meant it. 

I can't go back now. I can't let them down. 

Taking in a deep breath and bracing a hand against my stomach, I walked toward the room and stopped at the door, flexing my hand before I reached for the doorknob and twisted it open, taking my first step inside. As I closed the door behind me and turned to face the room, all the noise and every single voice simmered down, dissolving into silence. Every head slowly turned to me and every single man's eyes were boring into mine.