51| Death

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Death

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 51: Death (Amara's POV)

Minutes passed. Eventually, those minutes turned into hours as Tristan and I silently sat on the couch, the weight of tonight bearing on our shoulders, slowly drowning us both. Neither one of us uttered a word, too disturbed by everything that went down and uncertain of everything that was to come. 

At the end of the day, Tristan didn't kill me, and as much as I wanted to say that he had saved me, I wasn't sure if I could say that either. I wanted to believe that it was all a lie, just a facade to trick Michael into letting his guard down so we could make it out of here safely, so we could get rid of him for good. 

Was I kidding myself? Was I forcing myself to believe something that wasn't there just because I liked that answer better? What if he wasn't lying? I couldn't figure him out. 

It felt like all the trust I put in him was all depending on this moment, but when the time came, he broke it. I was sure he had his reasons, and I didn't entirely blame him for how he acted, but I couldn't deny that it broke my heart. 

It completely rattled me to see the heartless look in his eyes when they met mine, regardless of whether it was real or fake. 

Tristan had lost a lot too, I wasn't fighting this battle alone. But I never turned on him, never even pretended to. I couldn't help but feel hurt that he didn't warn me earlier, didn't give me a heads up. 

He admitted to turning his phone on, knowing there was a possibility that it would lead Michael to us. Why didn't he tell me? Why didn't he warn me? Why did he even do it in the first place? 

I heard him take in a soft breath before finally breaking the silence. "We should call someone for help, Amara," he whispered. 

I couldn't even bring myself to look at where Michael's lifeless body was. I blinked, staring at the ground as I took even breaths. "We're leaving," I announced, "right now." 

"Amara—" 

"It'll be taken care of. I have people here whom I trust. Enough guards and enough security. People who've worked for my Dad for years." With no reason to hold back any longer, I reached for my phone on the table and turned it on, leaving the room to call my Dad. It took me a while to explain everything that happened and tell him what I needed. 

"Cara Mia, are you okay?" was the first thing he asked. 

"I will be," I mumbled, "I just want to come home, Dad." 

"Pack your things. The jet will be ready, and everything will be taken care of, don't worry. Come home, sweetheart." 

After hanging up, I went straight upstairs. I didn't have the courage to look Tristan in the eyes right now. Not without breaking down. 

The door opened behind me a few minutes later as I was packing my suitcase. Tristan stopped beside me, then took a seat on the bed in front of me. "Amara, we need to talk," he said softly.