Chapter 11

Me and Gar quickly set up the table

Me and Gar quickly set up the table. Then he walked off to go check on Rita while I helpt Larry bring out some of the food. Gar came back with a tray full of empty plates. At least she ate the food I brought her earlier. Gar came back into the room with Rachel and sat down. Rachel sat to his left and I sat down to his right. Larry carried out the last tray of food and revealed a little man made of onion rings and some sort of mixer of waffles, corn, french fries, and bacon. There was also other food like lobster, steak, salad for Gar, and other shit.

He put the covers on the counter behind Rachel before walking around and sitting across from me. Cliff was studying all the food closely. It's sad how he can't eat anything. He shouldn't have to live like this. The chief should have just let him die in that crash. This is cruel.

"All right then," Larry said.

"Let's eat," Gar smiled and started to eat french fries. Rachel for some reason has a waffle and Larry has a steak on his plate even though he can't eat or else we would all die. I held my plate out and Gar put a steak on it for me. Surprisingly I don't feel like shit.

"For god's sake, Cliff, stop staring at the poor girl," Larry said as I started to cut my steak.

"So are the waffles crispy on the outside and gooey a little bit on the inside with just the right amount of butter?" Cliff asked as I shoved a piece of steak into my mouth. Damn this shit is good.

"They're perfect," she replied.

"Yeah. Try the chicken," he said. She reached over and grabbed a chicken wing and took a bite as Cliff continued to stare at her.

"What's that taste like?" He asked

"Crunchy and moist," she answered.

"Oh god! I used to love fried chicken," he paused. "I loved to eat, swim, loved to dance. I used to love dancing," he explained sadly.

"Why can't you dance?" Rachel asked.

"Ah, forget it. You're young. Nobody's dancing with this," he said and knocked on his head.

"I would," she said as she started making robot noises and dancing like a robot. I started laughing as I ate another piece of steak.

"She can stay," Cliff stated, making me laugh even more.

"Sounds like everyone's having fun," Rita said. I almost choked on my food as I looked up and saw her standing in the doorway. She was wearing a red dress. She looks great.

"I'm sorry I'm late," She smiled and walked over to the table.

"Ah Rita," Larry said as he got up and held out his hand for her to take. Which she did. Then he led her around his chair and handed her a plate.

"I was putting myself together. You know it takes some time," she took the plate then grabbed the massive tomahawk steak and put it on there.

"I hear we have a guest from the outside. How wonderful!" She said enthusiastically while scooping pasta onto her plate.

"I'm Rita," she said happily.

"Rachel," she replied.

"Delighted," she smiled widely and scooped more pasta onto her plate. Then a piece of chicken and a waffle and an onion ring.

"I'm famished," she said as she walked around the table to sit next to Rachel.

"Lucas the burger please," Larry whispered as pointed at the burger that was on my side of the table. I picked it up and handed it to him. Then he passed it to Cliff who stared at it as he slowly passed it to Rita.

"Thank you," she said and put it next to her. Then she turned to Rachel. "My condition requires a particularly high caloric intake," she explained and Rachel nodded.

"Can you pass the gravy, please Wyatt?" She asked me.

"I'm not Wyatt," I mumbled and passed the gravy to Gar who gave it to Rachel who gave it to Rita.

"My apologies...?" She paused.

"Lucas," I sighed as I grabbed some french fries and started to eat them.

"Well thank you," she smiled as she poured the whole thing of gravy all over her food.

"Why did she.." Rachel started to ask me but Gar cleared his throat and shook his head. Rachel looked confused but then turned her attention as she shoved a shit ton of pasta into her mouth.

"Well, this is absolutely delicious, Larry," Rita smiled and leaned back into her chair.

"Someone kiss the cook," he said, making Rita laugh. "Seriously. I'll take it from anybody. Anybody?" He asked as everyone started to laugh.

"All right, no takers. All right," Larry said.

"Sorry, Larry I'd rather not kiss a 95-year-old man," I smiled.

"I take offense to that," he scoffed and held his hand close to his heart.

"Are you okay?" Rachel asked. I looked over to see that Rita's face had started to melt.

"Rita?" Larry asked.

"I, um... I should have stayed in bed," she mumbled as she covered the side of her face that was melting with her hand. Rachel moved closer to her and held her other hand.

"It's okay. I'm not afraid of you," Rachel whispered.

Her words helpt Rita because as she slowly moved her hand you could see her face had gone back to normal. I smiled as I saw that she had calmed down. Even though the woman hates me, I'd rather not see her breakdown at the dinner table. Then the sound of a door opening made everyone look away. I looked at the doorway to see the chief standing there. Why is he here? He's early. He shouldn't be here yet. My stomach dropped as I quickly lost my appetite. Anxiety hit me like a truck. I looked down at my plate as I stared down at my food.

"Who is this?" The chief asked.

"Chief. We can explain," Gar said nervously. Of course, he had to mention me.

"Later," he stated. "I have a new patient,"

Everyone quickly got up and I stayed sitting there. Even if I rushed after him, the chief would never let me help. I looked at Rachel as she hesitantly got up. I sighed and stood up with her as well. I walked out of the room and she followed behind me. We walked down a hallway and another hallway and another before walking down a flight of stairs into the basement.

We walked into the creepy ass basement. Everyone else went down to help the Chief while me and Rachel stayed upstairs watching them run around trying to save whomever the hell is on the table. She looks frozen. Poor girl. What the hell did the Chief do now? Who the fuck did he fuck up now? He said something about a protest and liquid nitrogen. Then he gave her the serum which didn't work and made her body start to get cold.

Rachel ran down and over to everybody while I stayed up here. It's not my job to watch her. I could care less what happens to anybody. One less person for the Chief to fuck up and become a lab rat. Then the girl started yelling in whatever language she spoke. Rachel went down there, grabbed her hand, and somehow made her body temperature go down. Maybe she has powers. I don't know. I don't care.