1

Ahh... School. It's the first day of my senior high, one more year and I get to move on. I'm gonna leave everything behind and move to the big city. College was not even on my plan yet though a lot of my teachers are giving me referrals to universities. Where to apply and stuff. It's too early but since I am favored to be the valedictorian for this year, a lot of my teachers are rooting for me to go to college.

My life was not like other kid's life in this school. It is a private high school so it is given that the kids here are well off. I got in because of my brain, I also play varsity in the all-girls volleyball team, which means I am one of the scholars.

I have a hard life, nobody knows that but my best friend Reese. She's the only person in this world to whom I tell my story. She was my friend for almost five years now.

My Father was a drug addict, he's been in and out of jail ever since I was a baby. And my Mom, well, she's not far from my Dad, she's an alcoholic and couldn't even hold a job. I supported myself since I can remember. My neighbors will give me some jobs like mowing their lawns, walking their dogs, cleaning their houses, and everything that they know I can do. 

I am lucky I have such neighbors that look after me. One of them wants to call social services a long time ago because of my situation at home but begged them not to. I cannot be in foster homes, I can take care of myself, I'm a strong girl.

And I proved them when I got in in this prestigious school. Even with the jobs my neighbors are giving me, I also hustle in fast food chains. I do it after school and during weekends. I was given flexible working hours considering I am a student.

All the money that I was earning, I have to hide it, otherwise my great of a Mother will take them away and burn them in her ways. It happened before so I learned my lesson.

Mrs. Schmidt, my neighbor who gives me a job, was also helping me in hiding my money. She has storage in her backyard and gave me a key to it, so all my money and precious items like my books or anything that has value, I was keeping there so my Mother will not have any chance to sell them.

Since my school was full of rich and ungrateful kids, there are a lot of bullies here. They prey on the weak, the kids that always have their heads down, the unusual-looking kids, the smart ones, doesn't matter if you are rich too, if you are not popular, you will be slushied, will be thrown against the wall, locked in a bathroom, thrown in the dumpsters or anything that the bullies can think of. The teachers will cover their eyes if the bully is Brittany Anderson.

Brittany Anderson, the daughter of one of the stockholders of the school and owner of a lot of businesses in the country and even abroad. She has three musketeers who always follow her wherever she goes. They can make your life a living hell if they want to. A lot of students transferred to another school because of them and the school turned a blind eye.

Brittany is known to be bisexual, nobody dares to judge her. In fact, most of the boys and girls in the school are throwing themselves at her. Why not? She was gorgeous. She has long and strawberry blonde hair, electric blue eyes that can stare down a wild wolf, a small but slender nose, and lips that are so plump it looks very kissable, lips that had been already tasted by many. And did I mention, at the age of seventeen, she has a body that everybody is dying to have. She's also tall which she maybe thinks gives her the right to belittle anybody. She's gorgeous alright, envied by many, but I hate the girl's guts. Thinking she was better than anybody else in this school.

Even though I play sports here, I refuse to be the popular kid. I don't need a status here, all I want is to go on my merry way and not be bothered by anyone. When you are popular, it was like it was your obligation to bully people and I refuse to be that. But my best friend Reese, well, she is one of the unlucky ones. Brittany's group always picks on her every chance they get, taking her lunch money, and slamming her to the floor. Whenever I am with her or even see it from afar, I always defend her from those witches. I even got into a fight with one of them and was called to the principal's office. But since my teachers know me, I was let go with just a week's detention.

"Hey, stranger! I didn't hear from you all summer, everything okay?" 

I smiled at Reese who showed up from my behind and elbowed me. Worries are written across her face. We were walking towards the homeroom to get our schedules.

"I told you, Mrs. Schmidt paid me for the whole summer to take care of her Mom. She was living with her Sister in the suburbs, and also, you know I don't own a cellphone." I told her smiling while I anchor my arm to hers.

I never bothered owning a device, if my Mom sees it, it'll be sold right away.

We took our schedules and compared them, we have one class together and it was the last period. We went our separate ways before the bell goes off, we don't want to be marked tardy on our first day.

I sat in the middle of the classroom, I was carrying all my stuff, Reese and I didn't have time to put them in our locker. I was fixing my things under my seat when I heard the room suddenly became loud. 

When I looked up, my eyes found those electric blue eyes. Brittany with her cunning smile looking at me, I frowned at that and continue to stuff my books under my seat. She has one of her clowns on her back, smiling coyly at everybody. Bitches!

I don't curse much or even care about those girls, but ever since they pick on Reese, I hated them. Brittany never touch Reese though, it was always her three musketeers. they were not so important people in my life so I didn't bother remembering their names. I always call them other names in front of Reese, so that she won't take it hard on what they do, I tend to make her smile every after bullying. 

I hate what they're doing to her, telling the teachers doesn't do anything so I take matters into my own hand most of the time. I got in on a fight just once but I fight with them with my sharp words which irritate them every time.

Living with a broken home made me a fighter, with all the hard stuff that happened to me, I don't let my emotions be seen in my face. Those girls always tried to bully me too but I won't let them succeed, I won't give them the satisfaction to see me cry or even show them I was affected by them.

"Hey, Thompson!" The simp greeted me with sarcasm. I didn't bother looking up, not worth my time.

I felt my right side seat has been taken, and even without looking up, I know it was Brittany. Her scent filled my nose, it was only her who has that scent. A scent that was so intoxicating and expensive. Why would she sit close to me?

I turned my face to her just to get caught up again with those electric blue eyes. Her smile looks genuine this time. For the three years, I was in this school, she never bothered throwing me even one look, what is her deal now?

"What?" I hissed at her.

I know our classmates are looking at us, waiting maybe for an exciting event, maybe some altercate between Queen B. and me. 

"Jeez, Thompson! Chill, maybe?" She eyed me and then went down my chest. I followed her eyes and saw that two of my buttons are not done.

I remember I was in a hurry this morning, I took whatever was on top of my folded clothes in my closet, old jeans, and paired it with a polo shirt.

"I just want to tell you that." She pointed to my chest with her lips.

Before I could respond to her, the bell goes off and our teacher came into sight.