36

Jo's P.O.V.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" A smiling Reese greeted me when she opened their door.

"Didn't you miss me?" I didn't wait for her to tell me to come in.

"Are your parents here?" I asked her when I was already inside. 

Reese closed the door behind her before answering me.

"They just left, is it them you want?" She joked.

"Silly!" I chuckled at her.

"You want something to eat or drink? Wait, I'll get us chips and Mountain Dew."

She disappeared into the kitchen, I sat on the couch and put my bag down on the floor.

I looked around their living room. I know I'm here most of the time but their living room never fails to make me feel at home.

You know that homey vibe when you enter a room? You could feel that this house was full of love and respect for one another.

Something I don't feel in my own home.

All I could remember there was suffering, hunger, being unwanted, and a lot of crying.

We don't even have picture frames hanging on the wall, a TV where most family spends their time together, or a coffee table where you can put your feet up after a long day.

The only thing there is our couch, and I'm sure, if it is not full of stains, my Mom would've sold it already.

Unlike here, you'll see Reese's childhood photos hanging on the wall, her and her parents along with her siblings, graduation pictures, and some displays. Their coffee table even has fresh flowers on top. 

Their home just smells of home.

"Jo, are you okay?" How come I didn't notice Reese was already beside me?

"Y-Yeah."

"You're weird today." Reese put the bowl of chips on the center table along with 2 cans of Mountain Dew.

"You'll be at school tomorrow, right?" I ignored what she said.

"Yeah, why?" She opened the can and handed me before opening hers.

"Just confirming." I gulped the cold soft drink and it felt refreshing.

"So, how are you and your girlfriend?" I know she meant to tease me as the corner of her lips twitched and her focus was on me.

I know I'm blushing and I confirmed it when she made that screeching sound and started pulling my arm.

"Oh my god, Jo! Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!"

I think I'm gonna leave her house deaf. Her high-pitched tone peeved my brain cells.

"Yes, I will, I will." Trying to whisk away her hands from my arm.

I could see the anticipation growing in her eyes while staring at mine. I tried to prolong it more by sighing deeply when I felt her pinch my thigh.

"Ouchhh, Ok fine, fine!" 

"We're doing... okay. Too okay, actually. I like her Reese, I'm seeing a different Brittany when we're together." I pause for her to absorb what I said as disbelief is written across her eyes.

"Different Brittany? What do you mean different Brittany? Is there another devil side of her?" She said sarcastically. I was not offended as deep inside I know Brit deserves it. 

If someone would tell me this two weeks ago, I would probably say the same.

"She's... she's actually cool, Reese. I don't know, when I'm with her, I feel comfortable and... safe. She makes me smile and she was... thoughtful." I watched Reese's face change to a softer feature.

"Is this you telling me you're in love, Jo?" 

Am I?

I was just staring at Reese. I don't know how to answer her question. I'm scared to tell her yes and she would tell me that I was being stupid and if I told her no, she'd tell me I was lying.

"Jo?"

"I don't know, Reese. I just... I'm happy when I'm with her." It's the truth. My heart feels so full when Brittany is around me.

"Jo, I don't mean to be the villain in your love story, I just feel like as your friend, it's my obligation to tell you this... You cannot fall in love with Brittany Anderson. We both know her for years, she's a bully, she made a lot of kids cry at school, you know that. I'm sorry but, I just, I have this gut feeling that she's just using you or something for her own benefit, and then when she's done with you, she'll leave you broken and hurt."

Reese paused for a while, giving me time to absorb everything she was saying.

"I'm your best friend, Jo. I wouldn't tell you this if I don't care about you and if this is not worrying me. It does, I could see how your eyes lit up when you mentioned her name and the way you're describing her just now. I don't know how she got your trust in just a few days and I know you, you don't trust a single soul easily. She could be pretending to be nice to you for all we know!"

Reese held both my hands. Everything she's saying is painfully sinking into my head and into my heart.

"Just remember, this...  this relationship of yours, it has expiration. You both agreed to that, so please, Jo, do me a favor and protect your heart for the next 9 months or so."

I put my head down staring at our hands. 

Is Reese right? Could Brittany be pretending all this time? I mean, it's just a short period of time and we still have more on being together. 

I gave her myself last night. What would Reese say if I told her that?

But... It feels real and right. Brittany holding me feels real and right. The moments we had, that night we shared, it all feels real. Her being jealous of Rachel, or even to Kevin, was that a pretend? For a show?

Now I feel stupid for giving myself to her so early. We didn't even pass a week and there I was on her bed, letting her... Oh god!

I didn't even know that I was crying till I saw a tear fall on our hands.

"Oh, you poor thing." Reese pulls me in for a hug.

"You really fell for her." It was a rather a statement.

I think I am.

__________________________________

Hello, my lovely and funny readers, I set up a ko-fi account, so if you want to treat me, send me a gift, or just simply motivate me, please feel free to visit my page: Ko-fi.com/lunamarcelo :)

Follow me on IG as well: LunaMarcel0

Thank youuuu for always supporting my work, I'm reading all your comments and I love how invested you are in the story :)