Mother to Daughter

1 July 2022

Yesterday, the long kept secret unraveled as Clayton paid them a sudden visit. Fransesca decided it was the right time to explain to her little angel everything that she needed to know, especially with Clayton living in the same country and how their circle was one call away from each other. To live in torture by hiding the secret for some time longer would kill her slowly.

Also, Melissa's request last time wandered around her head these days. It was true that Clayton was supposed to know and be able to have some time with his daughter after all these years not knowing about her presence or so. This was the least she could do for the dying woman whom she just met a month ago and yesterday.

Never once did she think that their marriage; Clayton's, was pretty hard to understand as well. They married because of their parents' request and Fransesca could understand why, when both had their own lover already. Melissa with that man standing next to Clayton in the hospital's room and the man himself, with his feelings towards her after all these years.

Though she felt the same now, the love in between, she couldn't say it to the man. She just couldn't bring herself to talk about her feelings, the reason why she'd never been in a relationship or such after he left the country. The reason on why she kept her pregnancy instead of going for an abortion. The reason why she got kicked out by her father and late mother, even until today.

"Mommy," Christine called her as she found her mother zoning out. Fransesca quickly shook her head and smiled at her daughter. "Are you okay? I've never seen you zoning out from your thoughts."

Fransesca nodded her head as a reply and let her daughter sit next to her on the living room's couch. She caressed her head gently as she embraced her into the warmest hug she could give to her little angel. Christine really completed her life and she wouldn't ask for more in life. Having Christine lights her life up.

"About daddy, yesterday.." Christine started to speak about yesterday's sudden truth reveal. "I know how much you've sacrificed for me and I'm really grateful for every single thing that you gave to me. I know how hard you've worked until today just to provide me with everything, from clothes to even things that my friends have. You always gave me what I want and what I need. Things must've been hard for you too, with daddy and all the matters around, and by so, I don't have any grudge or disappointment of what you did."

Tears started to welled up in her eyes as she heard how the younger version of herself spoke so maturely in front of her. Fransesca never thought that her daughter would be this mature and kind-hearted. She never knew that her daughter became this wise amidst all that happened in their life; her life, of growing up with only a mother and no father figure around.

"Thank you mommy, for telling me the truth I've always wanted to know. I'm beyond proud to have you as my mother and I'll love you forever, unconditionally. Thank you for all that you've done for me and all the pain that you hold inside her heart alone. Mommy, you're my number one. I love you."

Christine smiled and wiped her mother's tears away with her thumb.

"I'm sorry that it took fifteen years for me to tell you the truth about your father and what happened in the past. I'm sorry that I kept on postponing it as I'm not ready myself. I just realized that I'll never be ready if I keep on holding things back yesterday, so I did what I should've done years ago, spontaneously. You must've been taken aback yesterday with the sudden reveal." Fransesca replied as she hugged her tighter than before. She won't ever let her go and she promised.

"I do things only for you. Not for me or not for anyone, but for you. I only want the best for you and nothing else, though I know at some points, I may have made some mistakes. Now that you've met your dad, you can visit him any time. You can spend some time with him and his wife as well. She will treat you nicely as if you're her own daughter."

Christine nodded her head. "Yes, mom. I've met her and she treats me nicely. I know things are complicated between you and daddy so I'll do my best in this case. I'll be a daughter that both of you can be proud of, mommy. I know I will not receive the same thing that my friends have; a father and mother who stays together, but I know one thing, that it will never change the love that both of you have for me."

Franseca kissed Christine's forehead as she heard those beautiful wise words being spoken out from her daughter's lips. He couldn't thank the Lord enough for His kindness in giving her a beautiful and wise daughter like Christine though she's only fifteen. Fifteen, and much wiser than those she met around her own age.

"Thank you, Christine."

"Thank you, mommy. For everything."

to be continued.