A Roof For Three

29 July 2022

The three of them were together once again in Fransesca's apartment. The man spent his time together with Christine as the little one was currently having her holiday before going into high school for the next term. She couldn't help but to let them enjoy the day together after the things that happened last time; the death of Melissa.

She knew how the death saddened Christine and Clayton at the same time. She knew how both of them suffered in silence after the devastating news that came to them unexpectedly. The same happened to her as well but Fransesca, just like always, tried her best to keep things inside, unknown to anybody else, because she knew. Because she knew that she should be the strong one to keep the two well and okay amidst the turmoil of emotions and stuff happening in between.

As she finished making them two cups of tea, she put it on the dining table and then joined their conversation.

"Fransesca, stop. Don't make yourself tired." Clayton reminded her as she just finished doing her chores in the kitchen. "I'm not tired, Clayton. Don't worry." she responded. As she stood up again to take some cookies, Clayton stopped her and shook his head. "No. Sit down here and join us. Whatever you're trying to do, just don't. You've been going around the apartment since the morning, according to Christine."

So, she did. She stopped and sat herself back on the couch. "Christine, do it for your mom." Clayton smiled at her. The younger girl nodded and left the couch to the kitchen, to take the cookies for them to snack at the living room.

"I'm proposing that the three of us live in the same house. Only with that, we can take care of each other well. I can be Christine's father as well as taking care of you as well, Fransesca. I want us to be in a family-like environment, where Christine could experience how it feels to have a mother and father under the same roof." Clayton suddenly brought up the idea, which surprised the woman indeed.

"Clayton, we're not even married. We're not partners or whatsoever. We're just parents to Christine."

"Then, can you let me try to be your partner? Will you let me try to win your heart again?"

"I'm not ready, Clayton. After everything that happened, I would say that the current arrangement between us works better."

He knew that she would answer it that way. He knew that Fransesca would refuse his idea but then he decided to drop the information he knew regarding the property they're currently in.

"I know that you're struggling to pay for the rent of this house, Fransesca. I know that this apartment wasn't really comfortable again. Christine told me about some stuff she's been dealing with in the bathroom or even her bedroom. I want to have you both around and live a better life. Your nanny? Bring her as well. I heard you 'adopted' her?"

Their conversation stopped as Christine came back and brought some jars of cookies, putting it on the table in front of her. Fransesca smiled and let her daughter sit between them both as she caressed her hair gently with her fingers.

"What is it that you're talking about, mom?"

"Your dad asked if we would like to live together in the same house. Cassandra will join us too, if you want. He wanted to give you a family-kind of environment, so you can experience how it feels to be your friend as well. What do you think, darling?"

Fransesca asked her opinion instead of deciding things on her own. She really wanted Christine to feel and do whatever she wants after those years without a father by her side. The decision was actually on Christine, and Fransesca to follow whatever her daughter would like to have or do.

"That would be a great idea, mom. If you don't mind? The landlord is increasing the price of the rent as well. Not to forget that the bedroom and bathroom stressed you out at some point, as things started to break down. You also need someone to take care of you. You keep on doing the chores by yourself when Cassandra could help as well. Daddy, do you have some maids at home?"

Christine's answers plus questions were then responded with a nod. "I have two, so your mother wouldn't need to do the chores by herself. Cassandra could play with you all the time as well. It's a house, not an apartment, so I think it will suit our family the best. Your mother doubts if it would be a great idea to move in together."

The little girl begged her mother with her puppy eyes before Fransesca finally nodded.

"Alright then. We should start packing our furniture and things as soon as possible." Fransesca replied, though she wasn't sure either that it would be a great idea. Moving with an ex whom she actually still loves? For some, it must be stupid.

"You don't need to. Leave everything behind. All is set in my house. Bring only your belongings; clothes, shoes, books, or whatever you still need there. Aside from that, I can buy you the new one or I already have it there." Clayton responded.

Christine smiled happily and hugged her father tight. "Daddy, thank you! I love you so much!" she thanked her father with a huge smile on her face. Not only with the fact that she could feel how a normal family would be, she's super happy that she could do her mission well; to try to reunite them both into a marriage, just like what her Aunt Melissa asked her before her death.

She knew that the two were now indeed, in love deeply with each other but her mother refused to admit it. She hoped that by moving into the same house, the two would finally be able to talk about the past and become together. Just like how she always wanted them to be.

to be continued.