Melissa and Christine

16 July 2022

Steps could be heard on the tenth floor of the hospital building as Melissa walked her way to the VVIP room where Fransesca currently was. Upon hearing the ruckus that Clayton had last night, she couldn't help but to worry back at home over Fransesca and Christine as well. Thankfully, Clayton informed her in the morning about Fransesca's condition and she's relieved.

As soon as she entered the room, she could see how the two suited each other really well. Clayton was there preparing for Fransesca's breakfast with the help of Christine, who's seen just awake and still sleepy. Her eyes told her everything.

"Aunt Melissa!" Christine greeted the woman. "Good morning, angel. How are you doing?" asked Melissa as she approached her step-daughter and smiled at her. They hugged each other warmly, though Melissa could notice the significant weight loss that the woman went through. "Why did you lose so much weight, aunty? You should eat more."

"I'm trying, sweetheart. Are you sleepy?"

Christine nodded her head. "Go back into your room and sleep then. I'll help your daddy to prepare for your mother's breakfast. You must be tired and worried to death the whole night." she smiled at her. "Is it okay, aunty?" asked Christine, in which Melissa nodded her head as a reply. "Yes, that's okay. Now, go back to sleep, princess. You'll need it more than anyone else."

The teen girl then bowed and walked herself into the bedroom she spent some hours before to rest, though she's actually awake, worrying about her mother's condition. Fransesca was still asleep and Clayton could be seen tired. His eye bag and the dark circles under his eyes explained a lot to Melissa.

"Is she doing well?" Melissa asked. "Yes, thankfully. The doctor told me last night that she fell unconscious due to severe exhaustion. They're guessing that she must've slept less and worked too much. She'll need some time off to rest her body and if things are getting better, she's allowed to leave this afternoon." Clayton replied.

Melissa nodded and turned her attention to the pale woman who's currently asleep with an IV on the back of one of her hands. Everyone knew how much she worked in order to send her daughter to the best high school and education in the country. Even if she couldn't afford it, she would do her best and try, again and again. For her, whatever Christine's needs and wishes became her command, though Christine never insisted if Fransesca couldn't, because she knew how her mother struggled herself since her pregnancy.

"I've told her to lessen her workload or resign from one of the universities. She's a professor and I know how much she worked in order to provide for Christine. I gave her my card as well so she can use my money. You know that we're more than enough and I can actually give her everything, but perhaps, she's not used to the situation as well. I even told her to rest if she could as I'll take my turn to fund and provide everything Christine and her needs."

Melissa smiled.

"Things take time, Clayton. She's been used with the life she's in; working here and there, morning to night, just for her little daughter. Now things have changed and you're here to help, so she'll need some adjustment financially and other aspects as well," Melissa tried to remind her husband. "And everyone could see how she loves her work very much. Don't you agree?"

Clayton nodded his head as he smiled at the woman who's still asleep. "I don't know the details of what she went through other than those works she did and how she was kicked out from her own family. But I know, her sacrifices are what I'm forever in debt with."

Slowly, he mixed all the ingredients of the porridge and stirred it so it wouldn't get too hot by the time the woman would have her breakfast. "You know what to do, Clay. You just need to be patient. Things would be harder one day but you'll understand why. That, again, the misunderstanding that I talked to you about days ago."