Doubts All Over

10 July 2022

"Fransesca!"

Clayton quickly left his room when he saw the woman leave his room with his suitcase. He grabbed her left hand and shook his head. "What are you doing?" asked the man, fearing that he would be left alone without her by his side anymore. He knew that it must've been because of his mother yesterday during the dinner and what she said before going into her room, all soaked in red wine.

"I'll let Christine be with you if it's for the best. Let's just go with this arrangement instead. I'll be the one who visits her every weekend and you can keep her so she could live a better life. A comfortable life she deserves and never got to—"

"Fransesca?"

She finally stopped. She stopped talking as he kissed her softly on the lips. Brushing his against hers. His right hand cupped her small face as he deepened the kiss while his left hand wrapped around her waist. Slowly, the woman pushed the man away and shook her head. He looked at him as if she's puzzled, confused, and left with nothing but emptiness in her mind.

"Don't you leave this house, Fransesca." he told her. "I should because I can't stay here any longer. Your mother hates me and I can't just stay still and act as if I know nothing about it, Clayton. I'm not going to steal your from her or whatsoever. I'm not going to ignore the fact that your mother hates me so badly that she wanted me to go away." she responded.

Tears could be seen escaping from the corner of her eyes, to her rosy cheeks as she sobbed. "It was always nothing between us. We are now just parents to Christine and nothing else in between, Clayton. I shouldn't be here in the first place, either. I should've known when I met your mother in the past." Fransesca added.

Clayton could only look at her before he heard the last sentence that she said. "Wait, what? What did you say?"

"What..?" Fransesca asked the lad back. "You said that. I never knew about it. You've met my mother in the past?" asked Clayton. No, all that he knew was that yesterday was their first time meeting each other. He never knew that Fransesca met her back then. "Don't act like you don't know about it, Clayton. I had enough with things between us already. It's all in the past."

"I really don't understand what you mean, Fransesca. That's the problem. Enlighten me with what you're trying to say."

"You asked your mother to come and tell me to go away as you'll live a life without me. You asked your mother to tell me that you'll throw me away from your life for hurting you. She told me everything, about how you wanted to get rid of me as soon as possible from your life. She told me that you'll never look for me but what did you do? You came back and turned my life upside down. Do you really love to play with feelings, Clayton?"

He was stunned with what he heard. He was stunned by what she said. He was stunned with how painful every single word and tone that she slipped out from that lips. He never asked his mother to do so. He never wanted to throw her away, get rid of her as soon as possible, shoo her away, nor to stop looking for her. He stopped because he doesn't wasn't ready back then. But as soon as he arrived in Singapore, he looked for her everywhere and fate brought them together.

Those eyes, those tears, those expressions he never thought he would see.

"I told her that I love you. I know that I'm late and I know it's all my fault but you.. you threw me away as soon as you left the country. I was left with nothing but guilt and regrets. Then, I found out that I was pregnant with Christine and with everything that you wanted to say to me through your mother, I know. I know I shouldn't really involve you with Christine from the start." Fransesca cried again and again. Telling him what he actually never knew. Telling him what he actually never asked his mother to do.