A Knock At The Door

It's a rainy Wednesday morning. The skies are gray and steady precipitation falls from full dark rain clouds. Claude looks out the window watching the rain drops splash against the window. "Well, I'll go make some coffee." He said aloud. "Or do I want hot cocoa? Hmm yeah hot coco it is. Then I think I'll go read a nice book in my den."

What am I doing? I just had a conversation with myself. Am I that lonely? My parents and my dear brother, are dead. I miss him so much and I miss her... Claude is awakened from his thoughts, when he hears someone knocking at his door. Who in the world will be knocking at my door in this weather? He wondered. Claude walks to the front door turns the knob and opens it. Standing in front of him is a dark haired man, maybe about in his 30s. He is dressed in a white dress shirt and black dress pants. In his hand he is holding an orange umbrella. He has a warm smile on his face.

"Hello, my name's Liam, I'm happy I found you home today." All Claude could do was stand dumbfounded in his door way. "I know what you're thinking, why is this strange man at my door in the pouring rain." He chuckles, a twinkle in his eye. Claude, finally finding his voice says, "Can I help you?"

"Actually yes, I'm one of Jehovah's Witness and-

Claude cuts him off. "Are you going to ask me for money?"

"Oh no don't worry, he says with an innocent smile. I just was hoping to share something with you."

"Wait...share something with me? Like what?" Claude replied feeling thoroughly confused.

"Well, since it's raining, I thought maybe sharing something with people would make their day a little bit brighter." He said enthusiastically.

What is with this guy? Claude thought to himself.

"Alright, we'll why don't you come in out of this rain." Liam thanks him, shakes off the droplets of his orange umbrella, and places it outside the door. When he steps inside, he immediately takes off his black dress shoes. "Oh, you don't have to take off your shoes." Claude says.

"It's alright, I don't mind. Plus your carpet looks so clean, I would hate to dirty it up. Besides my wife Lauren has me trained." He laughs

"Would you like some coffee or hot cocoa? I just put some on before you came." Claude asked already pouring up some for himself.

"The cocoa sounds awesome! Thank you!" Claude comes back with two steaming cups of hot cocoa. "Thanks um...pardon me how rude. Liam said, rubbing the back of his head embarrassed. I didn't get your name."

"My name is Claude." He replied cooly."

"Well it's nice to meet you Claude. "You are probably wondering what I want to share with you. I think I've kept you waiting long enough. These are hard times we are living in right now...and a lot of the time it's hard to deal with...and sometimes it can really affect us, he said looking at a Claude with a sincere expression. I was reading this scripture to people in Psalm 34:18 it says. "𝑱𝒆𝒉𝒐𝒗𝒂𝒉 𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒌𝒆𝒏 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒅; 𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒄𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒊𝒕.‟ He pauses for a moment. Then Claude interjects.

"Uh alright...did you say you were a Jehovah's Witness?" He said slowly.

"Yup!" Liam replied cheerfully.

"Okay, so I'm Catholic...well I used to be. It actually doesn't even really matter, I might as well stand in front of my fireplace and sing about Hellfire. Because that's exactly where I'll probably be going. Straight to hell. Claude saidlooking away. Liam tilts his head, a curious look on his face.