Welcome To The Truth

It's about 12:15 and the first half of the assembly program is over. Brothers and sisters are milling about eating their lunch and enjoying friendly association. There are 14 newly baptized ones. Seven brothers and seven sisters. Among those 14 are Claude Frollo and Ica McCmoté. A little less than a year ago, Ica and Claude met in Mercury Park, where they befriended each other. However, as soon as they started to become close Claude had suggested that they not see each anymore, for fear of Ica finding out about his troubled past. The departure wasn't easy for either of them. But now, almost a year of not seeing each other, the Special Day Assembly and their baptisms have brought them together again.

"Claude...Ica said nearly breathless. "What are you...what are you doing here?" All Claude can do is look at her...barely believing his eyes.

She looks so beautiful. He thinks to himself. I...I got baptized. I'm one of Jehovah's Witness now. And you?" He said taking a few steps closer to her.

Hardly believing what she's hearing she says, "M-me too. I mean I got baptized today too...but I didn't see you...how is that even...I thought you never wanted to see me again."

"No, not at all," he whispered. "That couldn't be farther from the truth. I just-

In that instant Ica saw that everyone is staring. Not just at her but at her AND Claude. "Oh um...this is Claude we...um." She stammers, her throat suddenly dry.

Claude realizes that Liam is standing next to a woman that he has seen before. Wait, she was at the café that day with Liam when they were out in field service. What was her name? Though Morgana and Liam are in two different congregations. They attended pioneer school together in 2013. Since then, their families have shared meals and service days together. And right now both of them have inquisitive, knowing looks on their faces and in quiet unison they say, "So this must be her/him."

"What?" Kalista said piping up. "Must be who?" Then it hits her, she studies Claude for a minute, then she looks at Ica who gives a small wince and averts her eyes. "Wait..is this HIM? Ica is this the guy you have been or...was seeing?" Immediately her mum #1 interjects.

"You've been seeing a GUY? When?" She demands.

"Ica you didn't tell your mum?" Kalista droned throwing her a look.

"No I...at that point." Ica tries to explain. "Me and Claude...we." Kalista starts making subtle gestures, to let Ica knows she has to start explaining herself. Her mum looks at Kalista to Ica then at Claude and says, ‟Okay, this is seriously the man you have been seeing? But he's..." her mum takes a closer look at Claude, who realizes that the woman glaring at him is the woman from the library, who he comes to find out is Ica's mother Patricia. He looks away slightly.

That's why she reminded me so much of Ica.He says inwardly.

"Wait." She says slowly. "You came in to the library that day, to return the book you damaged. "The Second Mrs. Astor." "I remember because you kept starting at me like I had two heads. And Seema thought it was because you liked me...but it turns out you liked my DAUGHTER?! Ica, how come I am just now hearing about this. And Kalista, you knew about this as well?" She asked giving her a questioning look. She sees, Liam and Morgana sitting back quietly watching. "And how come you two don't seem surprised? Jo you don't know anything about this do you?"

"No luv. By the sound of it everyone here seems to have had some sort of encounter with...Claude... here but me." She said, looking around at the small group.

"Alright, well can someone PLEASE tell me what's going on then?" Trish says irritated. There is complete silence.

Just then Morgana steps in and politely says, "Maybe it's best we talk about this after the program is over. The noon break is almost done." She says with a soft but commanding look on her face. She glances over at Ica who looks as though she might cry. "Liam does that sound good with you?"