Ch. 04 - Cloud's Confrontation.

The doorway that lead to  Midgar (or rather, what was left of it) swung open from Cloud's strong  foot kicking it open. He walked through the main hall and up the grand  steps, with one goal in mind.

He wanted to know from Master Hand  directly why Midgar blew up. He wasn't about to ask Shulk, because  this was on a far more personal matter, and to Cloud, the safety of the  places brought for smash was in the responsibility and care of the  Hands.

When the four of them arrived at the doorway that lead to  Master Hand's chambers, Cloud gave Shulk a stern look, and said, "do  NOT follow me in."

Shulk looked puzzled, even tilted his head and scratched the back of it.

"Well, alright then. Good luck."

Shulk then left the doorway, just as you were arriving at the  scene. Cloud rolled his eyes when he saw you, but he knew you were the  new guy, and may have just wanted to be there for the sake of being more  familiar with the place. He didn't force you to leave, and you didn't  plan to.

Cloud pushed open the  doors and went in, you following behind him at a moderate distance. It  was almost as if he had disappeared though. The room was entirely dark,  but the echo of your footsteps boomed in the room with a metallic-like  sound. It was like you were walking on steel. You looked around at your  surroundings, but there was nothing to see. Just black. It was dark,  too, so it wasn't like you were in a room painted in black.

Soon, there was a light.  Large, illuminated TV screens. You looked at them, recognizing that the  contents on the screen were various live fights happening right now!  You saw the three-way free for all between Peach, Daisy, and Joker  (which was not going in the thief's favor), a one-v-one against Falco  and Captain Falcon... you couldn't keep up with all the fights going on,  but they were just as cool as you remembered seeing on Live TV back  home!

Then, you looked away from the screens. Finally, you saw  the great entity himself- Master Hand. Cloud was standing by him. You  watched from afar, as the discussion was not your business; but you  could hear every word.

"Master Hand. Midgar is destroyed."

A booming sigh came from the hand as he said, "I have heard. I am sorry for your loss-"

Cloud slammed his hand on something, but in the pitch black room, all that you could see were the figures of the two.

"That's  not good enough of an answer," Cloud shouted, "Innocent life died  today! And not only those of my own. You know that many people who pay  to come watch the tournament live like to go to the 7th Heaven!"

Master Hand sighed once again, mumbling, "I never wanted to have to explain this."

This caught your attention, so you perked your ears up.

"Cloud,  we have detected a few rats among Smash Mansion. Old time fighters, but  I do not know which ones. I am trying to catch them so my team can put a stop  to this matter. I am having my staff investigate the matters. You know,  Aloise, Maruki--"

"I'll find them on my  own," Cloud said seriously, as he turned to walk out of the room. Master  Hand sighed, as this wasn't a matter he wanted all of Smash to know  about. It was bad enough that Shulk could have visions of this, but  Master Hand was unsure of what Cloud would do. Would he even be useful  for catching the culprit?

You quickly followed Cloud, but still  kept your distance. You wished you could have spoken to Master Hand  yourself, but you weren't quite ready to speak to him yet. Or anyone,  for that matter. You preferred to be silent, for now at least.

When  you finally were able to exit Master Hand's dark room, Cloud was  already gone. You sighed in annoyance, knowing that Shulk was probably  elsewhere now, and not everyone in Smash Mansion was as outgoing as  Shulk had been. You decided to walk down the hallway, hoping to find  someone who would be interested in your company.

"Yo, [y/n]."

You  heard the cocky voice of your rival. You turned and gave Chrono a wave.  He was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, and gave you a  smug grin.

"So, I heard you were at Midgar, and saw it blown to shreds."

You tilted your head, confused as to how Chrono knew this.

"That monado boy told me about it. He says that we're going on a quest to find the culprit. Y'know, Ganondorf."

You  shushed Chrono, but only because you knew Master Hand didn't want  others knowing. You did have to wonder though, why Shulk hadn't told  Master Hand that it was Ganon? Maybe Master Hand knew, but just needed  real-life confirmation?

"We're heading out to do some  investigating tomorrow. You better be ready,"  Chrono said as he left  the wall and passed you by. You watched him enter his room, and then you  went to your room.

Veen was in your room, looking out the  window. You knew that she knew of your presence, but you chose to leave  her alone as you sat on your bed. It seemed as though Veen would be  sharing the room with you.

"[y/n], you're back," She turned to you with a soft expression that you were unfamiliar with from  her, "I'm glad you're safe."

You smiled and  gave her a nod.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?"

You looked down, looking uneasy. She sighed, and sat beside you.

"I got the schedule for the fights. You're facing Donkey Kong tomorrow morning, but then you have the rest of the day free."

You  looked at the sheet, and saw that Shulk, Chrono, and Cloud were also  having  battles in the morning. You looked at their opponents. Cloud was  facing Snake, Shulk was facing Samus (it said Zero Suit Samus but they  were the same person... right?), and Chrono was facing Luigi.

You  studied the sheet for a long time, before letting out a yawn. Your first  day at the Smash Mansion had been a hectic one, and you were exhausted  from it all. You nearly died!!

"Get some rest, [y/n]," Veen said, "Tomorrow will be quite the fight."