Ch. 12 - The Reason

Trigger warning: the mention of death is in this chapter, but nothing violent is described.

———

White.
That is what you see as you open your eyes.
A bright white light in your eyes, and then the face of another.
A nurse...

"y/n, you're awake."

It's Nurse Joy — a Pokémon nurse who happens to help out around the Smash Mansion now that more Pokémon have entered the competition. She sometimes helps with humans, like right now.

You rub your eyes as you sit up, but she puts her hands on your shoulders and lays you back down a little forcefully. "You need your rest," she says. You grumble to yourself and lay on the bed. Your left hand trembling. You look up at the tv to see one of the fights going on right now. It was Diddy Kong versus Sephiroth. You didn't care to watch the fight very much, knowing Sephiroth would be taking this win. After all, he was the winner of the whole tournament for Smash's 5th tournament.

You look over to your left, and see Veen. She's sitting cross armed and has a frown on her face. You gulp silently. This is her stern and angry face. The kind of face she makes when she's about to smack you and Chrono for doing something stupid. She doesn't do anything though; she just lets you rest.

A few hours pass, and you're let out of the infirmary. Veen still looks upset, but doesn't talk to you. Looking around awkwardly, you see lots of the fighters and guests with concerned, angry, and even scared expressions. But among the crowd was Joro and Chrono. Both looking a little uneasy — Joro looking less uneasy than Chrono though. She's the one who approached you, with a somewhat weary smile. Like she knows something you don't.

"Hey y/n. You wanna go see the next fight with me? It's Ryu versus Yellow Inkling."

You look at Joro with confusion. She seems sad. The kind of sad where you're not able to tell someone heart breaking information. You feel like you can't trust her as much as you normally could, but don't know why. But how couldn't you trust your best friend?!

You reluctantly agree to see the fight, and make your way to the battle stadium.

Joro's eyes widened at the shocking news, as Veen closes her eyes in a stern, yet sorrowful way. Chrono sighs in an almost defeated manner. Veen had just told the two about your situation — both in the infirmary and the battle prior — and did some explaining to them about why this might have happened. Her hunch, if you will.

"Wh-what?! That's not possible! I thought those swords were handed down by your family?" Joro questioned, confused. Veen scratched her cheek, a little embarrassed about the situation.

"They were... see... it's a long story. To put it shortly—"

"No! I want to know the full story. Not a shortened one." Joro interrupted.
Chrono looked over at the two women, also adding, "I want to know too. That fight could have ended badly for both Isabelle and y/n. I don't want my friend getting hurt, or in trouble, because of something they don't have control over."

Veen sighed, knowing she had to tell the two.

"Okay, I'll tell it in full," she began, pinching the bridge of her nose for a moment before continuing. "When I was twelve and y/n was three, I was sent by our grandfather on a quest for my martial arts training. We were to set off for the mountains to obtain the two swords of two fates."

Despite not giving a name for the mountains, Joro and Chrono knew what mountains she referred to.

"We traveled together by foot, taking several days to get there. When we arrived, the swords were in their respective stones, unpowered. We got them, and returned home. That was when I would begin training with them,"