𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞.

Ch 12

Ch 12

Jeff's p. o. v.

        "Jeeeeeeeee—ffuweyyyy~!"

My initial state of shock by the recognition of the girl standing there instantly turned to alarm when she suddenly darted at me, her small form becoming like an undetectable blur. I fidgeted when in less than a second her fragile, thin arms were coiled around my waist and her head was tilted upwards at me, a long stretched and very damaged set of teeth grinning up at me.

"Did you miss me?"

I opened my mouth to say something but no words came out, leaving me standing there like a wordless idiot. I never thought in a thousand years I'd look into that ghastly, pale face again. I thought she was gone forever.

"It's rude to open your mouth like that and not say anything. Did you loose your sense of manners?" She chided me, her rather bushy eyebrows furrowing at me beneath the stray brown locks that fell over her face. "...Sally..." I muttered the girls name, my voice sounding a bit too unusually brittle for my liking. "Who else?" She squealed, slowly unwrapping her arms from around me, "you still haven't answered my question...Jeff...did you miss me? Or did you forget 'bout me?"

For a moment, I felt the tone of her voice shift slightly when she mentioned my name; it sent a small chill up my spine. Of course I 'now and then' wondered about Sally, but I couldn't bring myself to vocalize it. I couldn't trust her. She was a part of them now.

"It's your fault I'm here now, you know," Sally continued speaking in a matter-of-factly way; she lifted up her hand and examined her grimy, dirt-ridden nails. "You're the one that left me behind. But it's okay. I know it was an accident. Besides, I like it here now! The Black Tree takes care of me."

'...The Black Tree...?'

Sally smiled sweetly and tilted her head, "You look confused. Do you not know who the Black Tree is?"