VEER X ZOE

In Between the Lines

How would she be going to survive now? Without him, without his shadow, without the patterns he draws on her by not even touching her, without the sounds of his increased breathing patterns whenever they make love, and with no sign of him in Mazi Cafe with a gaze only looking for her for two long months.

"Who the fuck asked me to correct things so early?" Zoe took a sharp intake of air as she said it to herself, not realising that Veer is smiling, as he looks at her.

"You regret it? Zoe?" Veer giggles as he hands her over the coffee he made.

"Ahh no! I am dumb. Kuch bhi bolti hoon main yaar." She held the mug, but not before giving him a side hug.

"Vo to tum ho." Veer chuckled and it was followed by Zoe's silent laugh at her own thoughts. Things are great, between him and her and would be great until tomorrow. Tomorrow would probably be the last perfect day. Why? Because tomorrow she has to leave for Delhi because her work is waiting for her, nor Veer can keep his project waiting anymore. They both applied for a two days holiday, and it took so much of nagging from their boss's side, specially hers. What would she be expecting when she had denied the most perfect proposal in the world from Mehta's. Added, she came here, all the way from Delhi to Sangla without giving any notice or message to her team. She had to come to her Veer. And she came, just the way he wanted, just the way she should. All she could ever care, in that moment of decision was Veer. He rightfully deserved her, and much more than that, she deserved his love, her peace, her life back which only could be better with Veer in it.

She won't define their love as some great exchange of emotions, because she never thought of love as such. Did she ever want it, in the first place? But she has come to know that it is a very strong emotion. So strong that she felt as if something is happening to her, if she isn't with Veer. It was more like a disease. Deficiency of Veer, his love and her acceptance for the same. Zoe's failed chances at balancing and thinking of romance as rebound wasn't a good idea. And it all collectively felt like a disease, she had no cure of, in her hands, but the choice to run towards him.

But now as this small two day vacation comes to a hault, Zoe doesn't know how to feel. Because isn't it what they had tried to battle all this while?

She never applied for Dubai, in the early days of their budding relationship because it didn't feel right. So does that comply Veer has to do the same?
He has rejected so many companies, so many cool offers of jobs which were ready to pay him in dollars, yet he chose this small water harvesting project, in Himalayas partly because of her. She asked him to never show her, his face. But this is also a fact that he chose this project because he could resonate with the idea behind. And does that mean he would leave this project soon, to have her in his arms? Is love so demanding? Why it is so difficult?

"Veer. Sab thik hai na." Zoe asked, startling Veer. He blankly looks at her with a tenderness in his eyes. Strange of him. But that's how Veer is. His eyes say a lot when you think he is inanimate. His expressions may be a little stiff, a little difficult to understand but Zoe has begun to. She understands what he means when he recites the quotations written on the back of a truck, on registers. Cool stuff eh? Philosophical bullshit! That's what she used to think about all this. Not her only, everyone does and Veer is not from the rest. Probably he is the one, who has actually understood this world, and maybe that's why he seems abstract. But for Zoe, he is the one.