Chapter 3 FORCED EQUALITY

Morning was anything but peaceful, at camp New Beginnings. Sammy and Alex got caught, the night before. The  Smores raid was an epic fail. Jess saw the twins open the metal suitcase, removing ingredients for Smores.

     Jess yelled, "drop that Smores stuff right now!" It all was put back quickly.

     A nights sleep did nothing for Jessica's temper," if any of you girls speak to the twins, I will never speak to you. "

     Cat returned the mean glare, "like you're so important Jessica Sims, lack of your voice would be peaceful. Sara and I think it's funny, like the big guys could be quite. You woke us, not them. We all will eat Smores for breakfast, save three for the rest of the group. The temptation will be gone, the problem solved."

     Cat and Sara browned marshmallows on sticks, over the fire. Sammy opened the marshmallow bag And gram crackers. Alex stuck his tongue out at Jess. Jess flipped him off, which quickly put Alex in his place.

     Everyone opened their own chocolate bar, putting it on a gram cracker, marshmallow on top, and a gram cracker on the very  top. They all licked chocolate off of their fingers, long after it could be seen.

    No one spoke to Jess, making her wish, she had kept her temper in check. Cat and Alex played tic tac toe in the sand. Sammy and Sara played hang man in the sand.

     Jake looked down, " I got it, get me the heck off of this island. "

     Jess ran to the new arrival hugging him, " Jake you're back, we were so worried. "

     Jake put his comforting arms around her waste, " are you ok? You're so different. They didn't torture you did they?. "

     Jess shook her head no," I'm hungry, I hope you found food. When you three didn't come back last night, we worried you were hurt. "

     Jake unzipped the lone suit case, " look vegetables, we found a huge garden. I just brought enough for one meal. There is a tackle shed large enough for three people to sleep, we slept their last night. We staid out of the rain there as well. It's much warmer than the bamboo shelter, it has a window and door. We found a garden shed, large enough for all the guys to sleep in."

    "I timed the walk back, I had to pinky swear, to return this old watch safe and sound back to Matty. One hr on the dot, less than half the time it took to get there."

    "Can you believe that little dog, chased and killed a rabbit? chance butchered and skinned it, it was a bloody mess. It sure tasted good when cooked though."

     "Max found the garden and well sign, I'm so glad Matty brought his dog along. What was going on here?"

    Jess had the kind of smile you used in church, "nothing much to tell."

     Jake infected the group with his newly found enthusiasm, "Chance and I agree, we should make camp, where the food and sheds are. There is a lot to carry, but it will be well worth it."

     The twins grabbed a pot and began peeling, slicing, and chopping vegetables. Sara poured  just enough water to cover the vegetables. Cat put the pot on to the fire. Jess got the bowls and the spoon, setting them on the crude wooden bench near the fire. No one gave orders, they did what needed done. Jake wondered what happened during his absence, these were not the teens he left yesterday.

     Two hours later the group had full bellies, their journey had just began. No one complained like Jake expected. One hour later they took a ten minute water break. One hour twenty six minutes later they arrived at the tackle shed.