Chapter 7 Left Behind

After four days, Jake gave up hope, his friends would return. He began talking to himself, on the second day, of being alone.
     Jake put wood on to the fire, " you deserve to be alone, no one liked you, let alone loved you. You deserve doing chores, for an entire group of campers. You pushed everyone away, you're a useless mess Jake Clearlan. "
     " swallow your pride, you don't have to be alone. No, Steve doesn't want you around. He wanted to kiss that girl, he got caught. How many girls did he kiss, before he got here? Shut up, only crazy people talk to themselves. "
                         It took forty minutes to remove, the dirty prawn prawns, from the chicken coop. Jake had a stack of fresh ones, he laid them on to the coop floor. What to do with all of the eggs? He could only eat three per day, they would rot if left there. He left eggs, on ten nests, those would hatch. He decided, to release the twelve roosters. He gently picked them up, carrying them one at a time, he set them free.
                   Jake picked and dug up vegetables, he ate a tomato. He put the rest, in to the bamboo shed. Cooking dinner for one person, wasn't worth soaking and cleaning a pot.
     Fishing alone was no fun, in fact it was boring. Three little fish later, Jake cleaned them. The metal skewer easily held the small fish, it felt like roasting marshmallows. It was much easier, than cleaning a pot.
            Just after dark, Jake laid close to the fire. He didn't have the heart, to sleep alone in the empty tool shed. Memories of his male camp mates, lingered there like ghosts. He closed his eyed, but it was not Steve he thought of. It was annoying Cat, he could nearly hear her voice. He fell asleep being lectured on giving up.
                Jake awoke to the sound of two rosters crowing, they were against him, pecking his hands.
     Jake lightly petted the tiny heads, " I'll call you Chance, and I'll  call you Cat. " he felt better, having someone to talk to.
     It had been three weeks and four days, since Jake left beach camp. The chicken feed, fruit and vegetables was gone, a few days ago. Kevin and Ronny scuba dived, three times per day each. The small amount of little fish, they caught, barely made one meal, for the group of seven.
                Amy addressed the group," one of us needs to return to shed camp, we need more food and children feed. I think Steve should go, he is friends with Jake, and the others seem to like him."
     Kevin agreed," yes he's our best chance. I sure don't want to go back, Cat will put me to work."
     Ronny sighed," that girl gives me nightmares, no way am I going back there. "
     Amy stood tall," I'm not afraid of her, but I have a big mouth. No way would they give us anything, if I confronted her."
     Julie recalled, " me and Catherine Rivers, were best friends since elementary school. The island changed Cat, she is as mean as a snake. No way, do I want to see her again. "
     Page pouted, " I like it here, I'm never going back."
     Lizy sipped her water, " my cousin Lenerd doesn't need me, and I sure don't need him. Don't look at me, I'm not being ordered around, by Cat ever again."
      Steve picked up his canteen, " maybe Chance will allow me to barter, a few days work for food? If they give us no chicken feed, we will have to eat the chickens." He walked to the well, filling his canteen.
     Jake petted the rooster," stay away from the fire Chance, bad chicken. "
     Steve spoke from behind his ex," Chance, you sure have changed, since I've been gone."
     Jake spun around, " Steve it's really you, I can't believe it. When I got back here, everyone was gone. I have been all alone, the chickens my only company. "
     Steve walked toward the startled teen," you should have came to me Jake. To think of you, all alone her breaks my heart."
     Jake spoke looking at his feet," I was afraid to come back, being with you, but not being with you. Is far more lonely, than living with chickens. Why did you come here Steve?"
     Steve felt guilty, " I came here to barter work for supplies. "
     Jake was disappointed, " I thought you came, because you missed me. I still love you, if that's something you want. "
     Steve embraced his boy friend," I only broke up with you, because you were going to tell our secret. I miss you so much, please change your mind. I can't bare this place without you Jake. "
     Jake Wept in to his boyfriend's hair, " don't leave me, don't leave me."