Chapter 22 Two Worlds Apart

Chapter Twenty two

                 Two Worlds Apart

     Ruth Rivers used her most stern voice,"you can't wait any longer Cat, it's time to push."
     Catherine Rivers could barely see her mother's face,"I have to wait, he's not here yet."
     Ruth put her foot down,"the father of your baby isn't coming, he doesn't care about you. A camp fling he walked away from."
     Cat moaned in pain,"Chance is my husband, not a fling. He is stranded on the island, just like I was."
     Ruth was annoyed,"there is no marriage license record, it doesn't exist."
     The doctor spoke to his patient,"it's time to push this baby out, and end your pain."
     The nurse stood beside the frightened girls bed,"sit up and push!"
    Cat sat half way up pushing, I can't do it, I can't do it!"
     The nurse told her,"you have no choice, you must push. Take a deep breath and push."
     Cat took a deep breath pushing with all her might.
     The doctor said,"I can see the head, push and don't stop."
     Cat took a deep breath, pushing with all of her might.The next sound was a baby crying.
     The doctor cut the navel cord tying it,"it's a boy momma. Nurse quickly take the baby, there is too much blood. Mrs Rivers leave the room. That is when Cat lost consciousness.

            Ruth Rivers and her husband Greg, sat in the surgery waiting room.
     Ruth cried on her husband's chest,"why is it taking so long? It's been two hours. We should never have sent her to that island. Our little girl is dying, and our grandson doesn't have a father. Our Cora is six years old, our son Scotty is a two year old toddler. How can we raise a newborn?"
     Greg embraced his wife in comfort,"our Cat isn't dead,Lenerd Jr was born healthy. Don't worry about something, that hasn't happened yet."
     Ruth wiped her tears,"the baby needs to be put up for adoption, I can't raise three small children. We work sixty hours per week, there isn't enough time or money. I called Lenerd's mother, both her and her husband, want nothing to do with Cat's baby. I don't think they believed, it was their son's child."
     Greg wiped his tears,"Cat is eighteen, we can't legally make that decision for her. If she dies, we will adopt Chance."

            Cat awoke in the recovery room, being told that she had a hysterectomy, her hope for a large family, was forever gone.
     Cat woke again, in a hospital bed highly sedated.
     Cat's mother held the newborn in her arms,feeding him a bottle,"I know you wanted to breastfeed, but you are on painkillers."
      Ruth sat next to her daughter upon the bed,"look how thick his black hair is, and brown eyes. You have blond hair and blue eyes, I'm guessing he looks like his father."
     Cat looked into her mother's eyes,"did you give the surgeon permission to give me a hysterectomy?"
     Ruth laid the baby on her chest burping him,"they couldn't stop the bleeding, you would have died. Of course I signed the paper giving my consent."
     Cat rolled over facing away from her mother, she cried in silence, from the depths of her very soul.

            The baby left the hospital two days before its mother.
     Sara was on a three way video call,"Cat it is called postpartum depression, you will bond with little Lenerd, give it some time.Washington is so far from you, or I would hug you."
     Jess blew her friend a kiss,"we love you Cat, if only you didn't live so far away, we would have been with you in the delivery room. Orrville Ohio, is too far to visit."
     Cat gave her excuse as well," I live in San Francisco, Sammy and Alex live in Las Vegas Nevada, Jess in Ohio, Sara in Washington. Chance lived in Long island New York, so far from Ohio."
     Sara blew a kiss,"the boys are logging in, we have to go. Bye and kiss your beautiful baby for us."
     Sammy and his twin shared the screen,"Cat can you see us?"
     Cat forced a smile,"yes Alex I see you."
     Sammy smiled, "no he meant, do you see us?"
     Cat heard a voice, looking at the doorway, all five of her island friends were standing there. Cat was so overwhelmed with emotion, she couldn't speak,tears ran down her cheeks.
    Ten arms held her, the family bond she was missing consumed her.
     Alex spoke for them all," since we got back home, we all have jobs.For the last three months, we've been working double shifts to be here with you.Sorry we couldn't be here with you, in the delivery room."
     Cat kissed his cheek,"your timing is perfect Alex."
     All five of her friends sat on her bed, not caring what anyone thought.
     Cat wiped her tears with her hands,"I wish I could show you the baby, he is at home with my parents."
     Sara held her friend's hand,"we're staying for a week Cat, we will see the little cutie pie before we go home."
     Alex rolled his eyes,"sharing a hotel room with the girls, to save money."
     Sara poked his ribs with her finger,"you know you wanna Alex, you love us."
      Sammy hugged the sick one,"I miss you most of all, scarecrow."
      Cat genuinely laughed,"how did I ever exist without you people?"
     Alex's tone became serious,"don't tell anyone, but me and Sammy hit the big jackpot on the lottery. I hired a firm to find our friends on the island.The firm couldn't determine where the island was located, but they offered a public reward for information. The person wouldn't give the location, but did offer a radio signal. A satellite picked up the signal, the transmissions are being monitored."