Chapter 5 THE BEST AND THE REST

Cat barked orders, like she had lost her mind," pick up the pace newbies, wood won't collect itself. Page get a full arm load. Lizy we don't need sticks, leave them. Amy tie your shoes later. Julie you're slow as a snail, move it! "
     Sara nearly laughed, hangovers were so much worse with noise. She slowly helped Jess pick up coconuts.
                Ronny and Kevin were rudely awoken, after only eight hours sleep. The twins had no empathy, for their friends headaches. Picking vegetables in the hot sun for dinner, was punishment, for having a good time the night before.
     Chance prepped the vegetables, Cat filled the pot full of water. Sara put the pot on to the fire. Jess watched the vegetarian stew. Jake took the pot off of the fire, when it was done. Sammy filled the bowls, handing them out. Alex passed out the spoons.
     Kevin and Ronny cleaned the fish earlier, they filled the iron skillet with fish, adding a little water. Kevin turned the fish over. The group formed a line,  Ronny put the fish in to their bowls.
Ronny filled the skillet a second time with fish. When it was done, Kevin put fish in to his and Ronny' s bowls.
     Kevin and Ronny were proud, never cooking before. They were still eating fish, when the others began eating fruit.
                   Cat pointed at the stack of dirty bowls, spoons, the skillet and pot, " Amy, Julie, Page and Lizy,  it's your turn to wash dishes. Me, Jess and Sara,  did breakfast and lunch dishes. "
     Julie complained, " all of my group but Steve, didn't eat breakfast or lunch. "
     Cat pointed at her friend, " if you don't like it, go back to the beach Julie. "
     Julie fumed, " yell for me, when the pot and skillet are cooled off.  You will have to show us, how to clean them." She walked away, being followed by the other three new girls.
                    Jake spoke only to Chance," is it ok, if me and Steve, go back to beach camp? The crew said, that they would drop off supplies there. It's worth a look."
     Chance winked, " I would go with you, if I trusted Cat, not to go on a rampage, while I was gone. Take Matty' s tent, A few pillows and a blanket. The bamboo shelter gets cold at night. "
      Matty tugged on his friends shirt, " Max will miss you when you leave. Maybe me and Max, should go with you?"
    Jake put his arm around the boy, " I need you to stay here Matty. You're the only one I trust, to keep peace while I'm gone.  Can I borrow your tent for the night?"
     Matty nodded yes, " sure, just be safe and return. "

              It wasn't hard sneaking away from the group. Twenty minutes on the path, back to the beach, Jake put down the heavy back pack of fruit, and let go of the wheel suitcase.
     Steve copied his friends actions, sitting on the path beside him.
     Jake turned kissing him," I've wanted to do that, since the moment, I saw you Steven Porter.  I would have made any excuse, to be alone with you.  It was hard, getting the kid not to come."
     Steve returned the kiss," I couldn't bare, another minute away from you Jake. When your mom called me, I couldn't say no. Weird everyone in my group, was asked to come, by the mothers of your group. I was going to Google it, but your mom wouldn't give me the name, of the camp. My dad nearly stopped me from coming. My mom rushed me out the door, at the last minute. "
     Jake was lost in the blue eyes, " come on, I want to set up the tent before dark. I think it's safe, to hold hands from here on."
     The yacht was gone, but there were supplies back at beach camp.
     Jake opened a large, metal chest," look it's full of junk food. Apple pie my favorite, cup cakes, your favorite Steve.  Chocolate candy bars. Oh no two twelve packs of beer. "
     Steve opened the box, he pulled the beer tab, " we must open every chest, dump out all of the beer. This is trouble in a can, it will destroy us. "
      Jake kissed his love," I'm so happy I could cry. I don't know why you love me, but I'm glad you do. I was just as big of a jerk, as all the others here, except you. "
     Steve's eyes saw the boxes," look at those, should we hide them, or leave them. Condoms could cause trouble as well. "
     Jake thought for a long moment, " leave them, they're not our problem to solve. Our relationship isn't ready for those yet,  kissing and cuddling is what our hearts long for."

                  The tent was set up before dark, they cuddled all night, falling asleep holding hands.
     Cat was ahead of schedule, " I'm not use to having free time. The new arrivals, do what ever I say Chance. You need to find more for them to do."
     Chance gave her a stern look," don't you mean our friends? They are people, they deserve rest, work isn't everything. "
" has Jake came back yet?"
     Cat shook her head no," of course not. He is avoiding work, taking his time returning. "
     Chance returned her stare," power has clearly went to your head. We were becoming a family, until your friends and my cousin came. Push to hard, and they will all rebel."
     Cat cried in to her hands, " you're right, I'm A tyrant. I'm afraid, I'm trying to keep us alive."
     Chance hugged her," you changed for the better Cat, with your help, the new campers will as well. It's ok to have fun, when the work is done. "
     Cat looked up smiling at him, " your cute, there I finally said it Chance. If you tell anyone, I'll deny it. "