Chapter 19 Waiting

Chapter Nineteen

                               Waiting

                    Cat continued to bleed every day, and on the seventh day the bleeding stopped.
     Cat got out of bed,"I refused to stay in bed another minute. Chance,the bleeding and cramps are gone."
     Chance held his wife close,"if anything happened to you Cat, it would kill me."
     Chance lightly rubbed his wife's belly,"soon you will feel movement,and your belly will get larger."
     Cat touched her husband's hand,"I will never leave you, I love you Chance."
                            Three weeks later, the group had to walk further, than ever before collecting firewood.The five girls walked together.
     Julie picked up two branches,"Cat don't you dare pick up, or carry any wood."
     Amy grunted picking up a heavy branch,"don't you worry Julie, she has more baby sitters than daycare."
     Page struggled with an arm full of firewood,"you won't be pregnant forever Cat, then we'll hold your cute little bundle of joy, while you do our back breaking work."
     Lizy imitated cradling a baby in her arms,"I can't wait to get my hands on her, she will be as cute as a button."
     Cat frowned,"what if she is a he Lizy?"
              Before Lizy could answer, she slid down a steep hill.Cat was standing next to Lizy, she slid down the hill as well. Lizy went face first into a pile of mud, at the bottom of the hill. Cat wasn't as lucky, half way down the hill, she hit her head on a tree. Cat continued to slide, hitting her belly into Lizy's leg's.

            Six guys carried Cat back to camp and her bed, as quickly as possible.
     Amy applied pressure to the bleeding head, with a damp towel,"Cat won't stop bleeding, she needs stitches."
     Chance couldn't hit the needle eye with the thread, his hands were shaking too badly
     Kyle took the needle and thread from the shaking hand,"Amy removed the towel, and dab the blood as I sew."
     Kyle knotted each stitch, not daring to think about it being human skin.Taxidermy was his creepy hobby, hoping one day to become a surgeon.
     Kyle touched each stitch mentality counting them,"I think ten stitches is enough, the bleeding has stopped."
     Chance kissed his wife's forehead,"she won't wake up, she won't wake up! 
     Lizy looked at her bruised legs,"check Cat's belly, she hit my legs hard."
     Amy lifted the shirt, Cat's belly was bruised below her naval.
     Chance cried into his wife's hair,"this is all my fault, I should have made her stay home."

            Two days went by, Cat had not awakened.
     Amy was determined to keep her friend alive," as long as Cat eats and drinks, she will keep on living. One half of a teaspoon of water, broth or goat milk,every twenty minutes, will be enough nutrition. Cat swallows that much at least."
     Lizy took her turn feeding her comatose friend,"I strained stew, through my best shirt. That a girl Cat, eat up."
     Chance heard the girls speak to him," you don't have to be here girls, I can feed Cat. I only leave her side to use the outhouse. When I sleep, is when you're needed."
     Lizy hugged the leader,"don't give up hope Chance, there is no blood, the baby is still alive. Cat will wake up soon, I'm sure she will."
     Amy handed the leader a breakfast plate,"eat the eggs, toast and pancakes Chance, you must keep up your strength."
   Chance accepted the plate of food,  "girls gather the group, I have an announcement."
               The group gathered around the cook fire. Chance stood before them,"I have something to tell you all, that I should have said, when me and Cat came back to camp. When me and Cat were lost in the jungle, we said vows of marriage to each other. It might not be legal, but in God's eyes it is real. When our child was conceived, it was in wedlock."
     Page cried,"you didn't have to hide it from us Chance."
     Kevin held back tears,"when we go home, we all will be at your legal wedding Chance."
    Chance looked at his shoes,"I don't think we will get that chance, it's just a matter of time, until she leaves me.Please excuse me, I need to feed my sleeping beauty."