Chapter 10

Hade's palace was even more intimidating up close and after a little stroll through the Garden of Persephone, where they were very careful not to touch anything, much less eat the fruit, lest they stay in the Underworld forever. Grover had to be forced out though.

And when they finally entered the throne room that looked every bit like the one from Percy's dream except the throne was occupied.

Hades was at least three metres tall, dressed in black silk robes with a crown of braided gold on his jet-black hair. He wasn't as bulked or as strong looking as Ares but he radiated power and he was certainly intimidating, especially as he sat atop a throne fused of human bones.

"You are brave to come here, Son of Poseidon," he said by way of greeting. "After what you have done to me, very brave indeed. Or perhaps you are simply very foolish."

Cressida had to remind herself that this was not the time nor the place to agree that it was probably the foolish option.

Percy stepped forward and bowed. "Lord and Uncle, I come with two requests."

Hades raised a brow as he sat forward in his throne. "Only two requests? Arrogant child. As if you have not already taken enough. Speak, then. It amuses me to not strike you dead yet."

Cressida could sense his nerves from where she stood and she was very grateful when Annabeth took her hand, equally as nervous for her friend. The daughter of wine was also the one to reach forward and squeeze Percy's arm, a gesture of encouragement and a reminder to keep going.

"Lord Hades, look, sir, there can't be a war among the gods. It would be...bad."

Forget reassurance. Oh, how she had never wanted to smack him more.

"Really bad," Grover added helpfully....it wasn't that helpful.

"Return Zeus's master bolt to me," Percy asked. "Please, sir. Let me carry it to Olympus."

Hades' eyes grew dangerously bright. "You dare keep up this pretence, after what you have done?"

Percy glanced back at them, all of them confused, but Cressida just looked as if she was putting something together.

"Um...Uncle, you keep saying 'after what I've done.' what exactly have I done?" Percy asked but that seemed to be the wrong question as the throne room shook with a tremor so strong that the people upstairs in L.A. could feel it.

Debris fell from the ceiling, doors bursting open along the walls as skeletal warriors marched in, hundreds of them, blocking all the exits.

"Do you think I want war, godling?!" Hades bellowed.

"You are Lord of the Dead," Percy said slowly. "A war would expand your kingdom, right?"

"A typical thing for my brothers to say!" Hades snapped back. "Do you think I need more subjects? Did you not see the sprawl of Asphodel?"

"Well..." Percy stuttered.

"Have you any idea how much my kingdom had swollen in this past century alone, how many subdivisions I've had to open?!" he shouted as Cressida rushed to stand in front of Percy, blocking him from Hades. "More security ghouls. Traffic problems at the judgement pavilion. Double overtime for the staff. I used to be a rich god, Percy Jackson. I control all the precious metals under the earth. But my expenses!"

"Charon wants a pay raise!" Percy blurted and this time she did smack him on the back of the head.

"Don't get me started on Charon!" Hades yelled. "He's been impossible ever since he discovered Italian suits! Problems everywhere, and I've got to handle all of them personally. The commute time alone from the palace to the gates is enough to drive me insane! And the dead just keep arriving. No, godling. I need no help getting subjects! I did not ask for this war."