Chapter 48

Percy didn't mean to but to be honest, he didn't care about Grover's apology or what Chiron had to say about the prophecy as they walked out of the meeting. Even though it was interesting that Chiron likely knew what the Titan's curse was but was too scared to say anything, he was more interested in Cressida. In what the hell she was thinking and hopefully, what the hell she was planning as she walked out, speaking in hushed tones with her brothers in rapid Ancient Greek. Pollux was the one who nodded before dragging his brother towards the Hermes cabin.

"What in Hades were you thinking? Everyone could die if you disobey the prophecy," he exclaimed as she finally walked over to him. "And you -"

"Shh!" she hissed as she clamped a hand over his mouth. "Not here. If my father or the Hunters hear you then we'll both really be dead."

"Fine," Percy said as he shoved her hands off him. "My cabin. I need to make a call anyway."

He grabbed her hand as they headed for Cabin 3, even though it was technically against the rules for a boy and a girl to be alone in a cabin together, if the past was any indication, they didn't really care about the rules.

"Percy I'm not going to run away, you can let go of me," she said and he became a little flustered as he did. "Who are you calling anyway?"

"My mom. Chiron said I should tell her I'm coming home -"

"I wouldn't do that. Not yet at least," Cressida said as Percy opened the door for her.

"You have a plan, don't you?" he asked and her grin was wicked as he closed the door behind him.

"I'm working on one."

"I feel like I should be nervous."

"Almost as nervous as you should be for a surprise cabin inspection," she remarked as she saw the dirty clothes scattered everywhere and the unmade bed.

"Shut up," he said he quickly gathered all the clothes from the floor and stuffed them into a drawer as she sat on his bed and Percy stood before the fountain, twisting a gold drachma in his hand as he used his powers to create a mist that formed a rainbow when the sun from the windows hit it. "O goddess, accept my offering. Show me Sally Jackson. Upper East Side, Manhattan."

And both of them were surprised by the scene they saw. Sally was sitting at the table with a man and they were laughing hysterically, a big stack of textbooks between them. The guy looked around thirty with longish salt-and-pepper hair and a brown jacket over a black T-shirt. He looked like an actor – like a guy who might play an undercover cop on television.

Cressida was hiding her laughs behind her hand at the stunned look on Percy's face and she shoved her shoulder, the two adults too busy laughing to notice the Iris message.

The guy said, "Sally, you're a riot. You want some more wine?"

"Ah, I shouldn't. You go ahead if you want."

"Actually, I'd better use your bathroom. May I?"

"Down the hall," she said, trying not to laugh as the man smiled and left.

"Mom!" Percy called and the woman jumped so hard she almost knocked over all the textbooks.

"Percy! Oh, honey! Cressida! Is everything ok?" she asked.

"What are you doing?" Percy demanded.

She blinked. "Homework." Then she seemed to understand the look on his face. "Oh, honey, that's just Paul – um, Mr Blofis. He's in my writing seminar."

"Mr Blowfish?" Percy asked and Cressida smacked his shoulder for being mean.

"A man that drinks wine is a man with taste, obviously if he likes your mom. He's even better than you told me, Sally," she smiled at the woman.