Chapter 64

They landed at Crissy Field after nightfall, Cressida was mostly back to normal and able to form full sentences, such as who she was, who they were and what year it was. She was still a little wobbly on her feet, but she was more than happy to hang onto Annabeth, both girls excited to see one another before Thalia joined in on the group hug. However, the second that Dr Chase stepped out of his biplane, Cressida was shoved in Percy's direction as Annabeth ran to give him a huge hug.

As Percy made sure Cressida was ok, Dr Chase explained how he'd melted down some of the Celestial Bronze weapons Annabeth had left behind last time she left in a little experiment of his and it suddenly made sense why Athena, Goddess of Crafts and Wisdom, had taken a liking to him.

"Guys," Thalia interrupted and they turned to where she and Artemis were kneeling at Zoë's side, trying to bind her wounds.

They were instantly moving over to help but there wasn't much they could do. There was no ambrosia or nectar left, and no mortal medicine would help even if they did have it.

Zoë was shivering as the ethereal glow around her began to fade.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy asked. "I mean... you're a goddess."

Artemis looked troubled. "Life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try."

She tried to set her hand on Zoë's side, but Zoë gripped her wrist. She looked into the goddess's eyes, and some kind of understanding passed between them.

"Have I... served thee well?" Zoë whispered.

"With great honour," Artemis said softly. "The finest of my attendants."

Zoë's face relaxed. "Rest. At last."

"I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."

But it wasn't just the poison that was killing Zoë, and even if Artemis could heal the poison, Zoë had been fated to die.

And one shall perish by a parent's hand.

Her eyes then rested on Cressida. "Even if thy does not join the Hunt, thy will be a fine hero."

"I can only hope to follow your example," Cressida replied with a small smile before Zoë turned to Thalia.

"I'm sorry we argued. We could've been sisters."

"It's my fault," Thalia said, blinking hard. "You were right about Luke, about heroes, men – everything."

"Perhaps not all men," Zoë murmured. She smiled weakly at Percy. "Do you still have the sword, Percy?"

With an arm still around Cressida, Percy reached into his pocket to pull out his pen and press it into her hand.

She grasped it contentedly. '"You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson. You are nothing like... like Hercules. I am honoured that thee carries this sword."

A shudder ran through her body. 

"Zoë –" Percy said.

"Stars," she whispered. "I can see the stars again, my lady."

A tear trickled down Artemis's cheek, much like the one on Cressida's. 'Yes, my brave one. They are beautiful tonight."

"Stars," Zoë repeated. Her eyes fixed on the night sky. And she did not move again.

Thalia lowered her head. Annabeth gulped down a sob, and her father put his hands on her shoulders. Cressida hid her face on Percy's shoulder as Artemis cupped her hand over Zoë's face and spoke a few words in Ancient Greek.