Chapter 70

Percy didn't see Cressida again until the strange hearing she mentioned earlier. He was left to face Chiron, along with Quintus, the strange new sword instructor and his even stranger pet hellhound. There were no traces of the earlier anger on her face as she stood with Annabeth, Clarisse and another girl Percy didn't know.

"Punk," Clarisse spat, voice gruffer and more malicious than usual and Percy was struck with the notion that she and Cressida really had become friends - and that Clarisse knew about their fight.

Annabeth looked the same at least, her blonde hair in a ponytail and her body in a pair of jeans and a camp half-blood t-shirt. She offered Percy a small smile but something in her eyes told him that she also sided with Cressida.

As for Cressida, she didn't pay any attention to him. Her focus was completely on the petite mystery girl who was crying into her shoulder.

Grover was standing in the middle of a circle of satyrs, the Council of Cloven Elders, as he spoke to them with animated hand gestures.

"It's going terribly," the mystery girl sniffled, a handkerchief in her hand even though Cressida's shirt was soaking up most of her tears.

"No, no," Annabeth said as she patted her shoulder. "He'll be fine, Juniper."

Annabeth mouthed the fact that the girl Cressida was hugging was Grover's girlfriend as Cressida's hands glowed and so did her eyes.

"You're going to be fine too, but you have to calm down first," she said, and Juniper seemed to deflate in her arms, all the tension exiting her body.

"Lynn, take it easy," Clarisse warned and Cressida nodded at her.

"I got it."

"Master Underwood!" the council member on the right shouted, cutting off whatever Grover was trying to say. "Do you seriously expect us to believe this?"

"B-but, Silenus," Grover stammered. "It's the truth!"

The elders then began talking and the nerves in the room seemed to double.

Silenus tugged his yellow polo shirt over his belly and adjusted himself on his rosebush throne. "Master Underwood, for six months – six months – we have been hearing these scandalous claims that you heard the wild god Pan speak."

"But I did!"

"Impudence!" said the elder on the left.

"Now, Maron," Chiron said. "Patience."

"Patience, indeed!" Maron said. "I've had it up to my horns with this nonsense. As if the wild god would speak to... to him."

Both Juniper and Cressida looked like they wanted to charge at the old satyr, but the two girls next to them stopped them.

"Wrong fight, girlie," Clarisse muttered. "Wait. And you know it's bad if I'm the one holding you back from a fight."

Percy was ridiculously surprised at the sight. Not just Clarisse holding someone back, but that she was holding Cressida and that she, Annabeth and Cressida almost seemed to be working together.

"For six months," Silenus continued, "we have indulged you, Master Underwood. We let you travel. We allowed you to keep your searcher's licence. We waited for you to bring proof of your preposterous claim. And what have you found in six months of travel?"

"I just need more time," Grover pleaded.

"Nothing!" the elder in the middle chimed in. "You have found nothing."

"But, Leneus –"

Silenus raised his hand. Chiron leaned in and said something to the satyrs. The satyrs didn't look happy. They muttered and argued among themselves, but Chiron said something else, and Silenus sighed. He nodded reluctantly.

"Master Underwood," Silenus announced, "we will give you one more chance."

Grover brightened. "Thank you!"

"One more week."

"What? But, sir! That's impossible!"

"One more week, Master Underwood. And then, if you cannot prove your claims, it will be time for you to pursue another career. Something to suit your dramatic talents. Puppet theatre, perhaps. Or tap dancing."

"But, sir, I – I can't lose my searcher's licence. My whole life –"

"This meeting of the council is adjourned," Silenus said. "And now let us enjoy our noonday meal!"

The old goat then clapped his hands as a bunch of nymphs melted out of the trees with platters of veggies, fruits, tin cans and other goat delicacies.

"Hi Percy," Grover greeted as he slumped back over to them, not even having the energy to shake Percy's hands. "That went well, huh?"

"Those old goats!" Juniper said. "'Oh, Grover, they don't know how hard you've tried!"

"There is another option," Clarisse said darkly.

"No. No." Juniper shook her head. "Grover, I won't let you."

His face was ashen. "I – I'll have to think about it. But we don't even know where to look."

"What are you talking about?" Percy questioned but a conch horn sounding in the distance drew their attention away as Annabeth pursed her lips.

"I'll fill you in later, Percy. We'd better get back to our cabins. Inspection is staring."

And once again, Cressida completely ignored him as she marched off towards the cabins. Later on, though, he'd find her in his cabin, talking to Tyson.

She was smiling as she conversed with the Cyclops who stared at her as if she was the most interesting thing in the world. Tyson may have cleaned the cabin spotless, but Percy was well aware of the fresh sheets on Tyson's bed and the two empty plates that sat on the dressers to go back to the kitchens, grape stems on them. She'd kept the promise she made last winter - something Percy had thought was a heat of the moment thing. It also told him that Tyson had been here since the morning, since before Cressida met him in New York - she was going to surprise him with his brother.

Though, seeing Percy walk through the door, her smile fell a little bit. "I have to go help Clarisse. Thank you for the seashell, Tyson. I'll see you for dinner," she farewelled as she stood up on her toes, her lips reaching for his face and for a horrible second, Percy thought she was going to kiss his lips. She didn't. She pressed a kiss to his cheek as always, leaving the gentle giant blushing as she headed for the door.

"Bye, Pretty Girl!" Tyson waved with a happy smile.

"Bye," she returned before her gaze fell back on the half-blood son of Poseidon. "Percy," she said coldly before walking out. And though he was so excited to have Tyson back, he was really annoyed at himself for screwing up - again.