Chapter 102

Cressida wished and she prayed that someone could make her stop feeling things the way she had done to Annabeth. She didn't know what to feel after what Pan had told her and neither did anyone else because it was silent all the way back to Times Square as they climbed out of the Marriott basement.

Percy led the way into the alley before letting out a whistle that sounded six times.

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!"

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack was in the lead, followed by four of his white friends. He greeted Percy first who said, "Yeah, I'm lucky that way. Listen, we need a ride to camp quick."

The pegasus Guido groaned and complained, but eventually, he agreed to carry Tyson before Blackjack cantered over to Cressida, nuzzling her face as she gave him a sad smile. "Hi, BJ," she smiled as she rubbed his nose.

"Don't be sad boss lady. Yo, boss. What happened to boss lady?"

"Long story," Percy answered. "We don't have time," he said as they began saddling up, Percy lifting Cressida up by her hips onto Blackjack's back before climbing up himself. Percy had requested another pegasus, but Blackjack seemed to never let anyone else carry Percy and Cressida - not that they minded.

"Well," Rachel said. "I guess this is it."

"Thanks for everything," Cressida said solemnly, her fingers wound in Blackjack's mane as Percy had his hands on her hips again.

"Thanks," Percy said. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"I wouldn't have missed it. I mean, except for almost dying, and Pan..." Her voice faltered.

"He said something about your father," Percy remembered. "What did he mean?"

Rachel twisted the strap on her backpack. "My dad... My dad's job. He's kind of a famous businessman."

"You mean ... you're rich?"

"Well, yeah."

"So that's how you got the chauffeur to help us? You just said your dad's name and -"

"Yes," Rachel cut him off. "Percy... my dad's a land developer. He flies all over the world, looking for tracts of undeveloped land." She took a shaky breath. "The wild. He – he buys it up. I hate it, but he ploughs it down and builds ugly subdivisions and shopping centres. And now that I've seen Pan... Pan's death –"

"Hey, you can't blame yourself for that," Cressida admonished, speaking from experience.

"You don't know the worst of it. I – I don't like to talk about my family. I didn't want you to know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

"Ok, shut up," Cressida said firmly. "If we were all judged by our parents, everyone would hate me, and I'm fairly certain everyone would like him way more than they should," she said as she pointed her thumb at Percy, making Rachel smile as she referred to their respective mothers.

"Cress," he said with a warning tone that she ignored.

"You are a mortal that agreed to come on a ridiculously dangerous demigod quest, and you threw a hairbrush into the face of the Lord of the Titans. That's all I need to know about you."

"What she said," Percy shrugged, Cressida making the point he wanted to make much more eloquently than he could've.

"Well... if you ever feel like hanging out with a mortal again... you could call me or something."

"Uh, yeah. Sure," Percy said before correcting himself. "I mean...I'd like that."

"My number's not in the book," she said.

"I've got it."

"Still on your hand? No way."

"No. I kinda... memorized it."

Her smile came back slowly, but a lot happier. "See you later, Percy Jackson. Go save the world for me, okay?"

Usually, Cressida was able to push her feelings down for the sake of others, but she couldn't this time. Everything Pan said to her was still getting to her as Rachel vanished into the crowds.

But as they flew, Nico's pegasus, Porkpie, was reluctant to let him climb on, saying that he smelt like dead people.

"Go without me!" Nico said. "I don't want to go back to that camp anyway."

"Nico, we need your help," Percy said and the little boy just crossed his arms over his chest and scowled as Cressida slid off Blackjack who seemed confused.

"Nico," she said, her voice forcing his eyes up to her. "We need your help. Please. If not for us, then for Bianca and the place she trusted to keep you safe."

His expression softened. "Alright," he said reluctantly. "For you. For your brothers. For Bianca. But I'm not staying."

Cressida seemed to deflate with relief as she impulsively kissed his forehead and pulled him into a quick hug that he actually seemed to like. Cressida then moved over to Porkpie, stroking his nose as her hand glowed purple against his white hair and the pegasus calmed.

Nico was then able to climb on as Cressida headed back to Blackjack and Percy held out his hand for her.

"How come Nico listens to you?" he asked quietly, and she just stuck her tongue out at him, not having the energy to make a witty retort as she climbed on behind Percy this time, wrapping her arms around his waist and their steeds took to the sky. And her fearful tears soaked into the back of his shirt as they flew.