Chapter 106

Their father had demanded them to attend both dinner and the campfire, but they just couldn't. Pollux and Cressida couldn't bring themselves to socialise after burning their brother, but they did promise to actually eat the food that was left outside their door.

But while they mourned, they missed Percy saying farewell to Nico. The young boy couldn't stay at camp anymore and it wasn't just because he didn't belong, he had questions he needed answers to such as who got them out of the Lotus Casino? Who was his mother? Who paid for him and Bianca to go to school?

And since Cressida wasn't there for Nico to say goodbye to, Percy promised to pass it along.

Briares had also left, Tyson giving him directions to Poseidon's underwater forges seeing as the Hundred Handed-One wanted to be busy and not be alone anymore.

However, after Percy's conversation with Nico in the woods where the boy seemed to disappear into the shadows, a very surprising someone willingly spoke to Percy.

"Walk with me," Dionysus had asked and Percy just raised a brow.

"Where to?" he questioned suspiciously.

"Just to the campfire," he said. "I was beginning to feel better, so I thought I would talk with you a bit. You always manage to annoy me."

"Uh, thanks."

They walked in silence for a time, Percy noticing that the god was treading on air, so his polished black shoes didn't get dirty.

"We have had many betrayals," he said. "Things are not looking good for Olympus. Yet you, Annabeth and my daughter saved this camp. I'm not sure I should thank you for that."

"It was a group effort. And I figured the threat from last winter to not return without Cressida would carry over to this quest."

Perhaps it was the darkness, but Percy swore he saw a flicker of amusement in the god's eye.

"Regardless, I suppose it was mildly competent what you've done - though obviously my Jewel carried it all-"

"Obviously," Percy said but it wasn't sarcastic at all.

"And in light of recent events, I thought there was something you should know - it wasn't a total loss."

They'd reached the amphitheatre, and Dionysus pointed towards the campfire. Clarisse was sitting shoulder to shoulder with a big Hispanic kid who was telling her a joke. It was Chris Rodriguez.

Percy turned to Dionysus. "You cured him?"

"Madness is my speciality. It was quite simple, though my daughter did very well in my absence. Why, a session or two more and she would've healed him all on her own. She is learning. At any rate, it seems to have improved Clarisse's mood."

"Why are you telling me this?" Percy wondered and the wine god sighed.

"Oh, Hades if I know. But remember, boy, that a kind act can sometimes be as powerful as a sword. As a mortal, I was never a great fighter or athlete or poet. I only made wine. The people in my village laughed at me. They said I would never amount to anything. Look at me now. Sometimes small things can become very large indeed."

"This has to do with Cressida, doesn't it?" Percy said and the god's expression grew cold.

"You have become a rather large thorn in my side, Johnson, however, my daughter has taken a liking to you."

Percy was beyond grateful for the darkness that hid his red face because this just became the most awkward conversation of his life.

"Zeus only knows why, but in any case, my daughter is in a fragile state, and it is up to you to help her."

"Why me?"

The wine god closed his eyes as if this conversation physically pained him. "For the sake of Olympus, I think Jewel has been injured one too many times to see any sane reason to keep you around."

"I thought you didn't like me?"

"I don't. And do not mistake this for that," Dionysus said instantly. "But I love my daughter and whilst I wasn't aware of what happened in her life for the first seven years, I am more than well aware of her life now. And I am aware of the fact that for some reason still unknown to the gods, you are able to make her happy. I suspect you have a plan already."

Percy bit his lips, mostly out of embarrassment at everything that Dionysus knew, and he wished he could just jump into the campfire.

This is for Cressida. Remember that this is for Cressida.

"I do have an idea," Percy revealed and Dionysus prompted him to continue with an exaggerated eye roll and he sighed. "But it involves taking her into Manhattan for the day. I was thinking maybe for her birthday. Give her some time before we try to cheer her up."

Percy didn't know when the wineglass appeared in Dionysus' hands, but it was there and it was filled with a black liquid he assumed was Diet Coke.

"Very well," he relented. "Just this once and for Jewel's sake."

"Thank you, sir," Percy said and for once, he didn't have to bite his tongue. "And I promise that I'll take care of Cress. I swear it on -"

The wine god held up his hand, silencing the son of Poseidon.

"There's no need for that," he said as he took a sip of his drink. "Zeus knows that you are well aware of what should befall you should my precious Jewel not be taken care of the way she should be."

The sky rumbled but this time it almost seemed to be in agreement with the god's words.

He was left alone to consider his thoughts as Dionysus vanished and he watched Clarisse and Chris singing a stupid campfire song together, holding hands in the darkness, where they thought nobody could see them, and though he smiled at the sight, he knew it would be a while until he got to experience that. 

But he would wait.